I have an ovirt node that has Infiniband and I'm seeing two seperate errors
when running facter.

sh: vdsmdummy: command not found

and

Ifconfig uses the ioctl access method to get the full address information,
which limits hardware addresses to 8 bytes.
Because Infiniband address has 20 bytes, only the first 8 bytes are
displayed correctly.
Ifconfig is obsolete! For replacement check ip.

I'm using the "--trace" option with facter but am not seeing any backtrace
information to identify and submit a fix for these two issues.

Installed packages on CentOS 6.5:

facter.x86_64 1:1.7.4-1.el6 @puppetlabs-products
puppet.noarch 3.4.2-1.el6 @puppetlabs-products

The "vdsmdummy" is likely from the bridge created by VDSM:

$ brctl show
bridge name bridge id STP enabled interfaces
;vdsmdummy; 8000.000000000000 no
ipmi 8000.003048bc981e no eth0.2
ovirtmgmt 8000.003048bc981e no eth0.1
public 8000.003048bc981f no eth1

So far I think the reason the "vdsmdummy: command not found" is the
semi-colons are passed to the /sbin/ip command and appear like subcommands.

The Infiniband issue seems to be STDERR being printed as a "ifconfig
2>/dev/null" does not print that message.

Thanks
- Trey

  • Treydock at Feb 9, 2014 at 9:35 pm
    After some debugging it seems it's the ";vdsmdummy;" interface that's
    causing both problems. I have a host with Infiniband, and the same version
    of Puppet and Facter, that has no errors running facter. My guess is when
    ifconfig is executed for ";vdsmdummy;" it's not using '2> /dev/null', but I
    can't identify where in the Facter code this is happening.

    I updated Facter to 1.7.5-rc2 and the error is still the same on the host
    with the ";vdsmdummy;" bridge device.

    Thanks
    - Trey
[...]

  • Jon Forrest at Feb 20, 2014 at 5:02 pm

    After some debugging it seems it's the ";vdsmdummy;" interface that's
    causing both problems. I have a host with Infiniband, and the same version
    of Puppet and Facter, that has no errors running facter. My guess is when
    ifconfig is executed for ";vdsmdummy;" it's not using '2> /dev/null', but I
    can't identify where in the Facter code this is happening.

    I updated Facter to 1.7.5-rc2 and the error is still the same on the host
    with the ";vdsmdummy;" bridge device.
    I'm having the same problem on a node without Infiniband, but with VDSM
    installed. This is with
    version 1.7.5 of facter on CentOS 6.5 (with all patches).

    This doesn't seem to prevent anything from working. It would be nice if it
    went away, though.

    Jon Forrest