I have a bunch of dev servers which have begun experiencing the same issue
when I run puppet apply. The full command I'm using is: sudo puppet apply
--modulepath=/opt/puppet-conf/development/modules
--environment=development.

I've never had a problem running this command before, but very recently,
when I run it on any of my dev servers it just hangs right after I hit
enter. It never times out and I don't get any output, event when I add
--verbose, --debug and --detailed-exitcodes.

I investigated further, and ran the above command using strace. It appears
that puppet hangs when trying to read /etc/puppet/routes.yaml (which
doesn't exist). I created /etc/puppet/routes.yaml but then puppet apply
just fails (I'm not really sure what to put in routes.yaml, though).

Does anyone have any idea what's happening here? I'm not sure why this only
just started happening. For the record, here are the packages I have
installed:

ii facter 1.7.4-1puppetlabs1 Ruby
module for collecting simple facts about a host operating system
ii hiera 1.3.0-1puppetlabs1 A simple
pluggable Hierarchical Database.
ii puppet 3.4.2-1puppetlabs1
Centralized configuration management - agent startup and compatibility
scripts
ii puppet-common 3.4.2-1puppetlabs1
Centralized configuration management
ii puppetlabs-release 1.0-7 "Package
to install Puppet Labs gpg key and apt repo"
ii ruby-rgen 0.6.5-1puppetlabs1 A
framework supporting Model Driven Software Development (MDSD)

Thanks,
Guy

<guy@eastsidegamestudio.com>

  • Guy Knights at Jan 17, 2014 at 7:11 pm
    I went a bit further and found a routes.yaml config which I believe works,
    but it looks like this isn't actually the issue. The routes.yaml I used is:

    ---
    master:
       facts:
         terminus: yaml
         cache: yaml

    Here's the last few lines of puppet apply when using strace:

    stat("/etc/puppet/routes.yaml", {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=56, ...}) = 0
    open("/etc/puppet/routes.yaml", O_RDONLY) = 3
    fstat(3, {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=56, ...}) = 0
    mmap(NULL, 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0) =
    0x7f87e13ba000
    read(3, "---\nmaster:\n facts:\n terminu"..., 4096) = 56
    read(3, "", 4096) = 0
    close(3) = 0
    munmap(0x7f87e13ba000, 4096) = 0
    fstat(0, {st_mode=S_IFCHR|0620, st_rdev=makedev(136, 0), ...}) = 0
    fstat(0, {st_mode=S_IFCHR|0620, st_rdev=makedev(136, 0), ...}) = 0
    mmap(NULL, 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0) =
    0x7f87e13ba000
    read(0,

    It just hangs there at the "read(0," line.

    --
    Guy Knights
    Lead Systems Administrator
    guy@eastsidegamestudio.com

    <guy@eastsidegamestudio.com>

  • Jose Luis Ledesma at Jan 17, 2014 at 7:23 pm
    0 is standard input... Seems that puppet is waiting for some input??? Or did puppet close fd 0?

    Regards

  • Guy Knights at Jan 17, 2014 at 8:19 pm
    Oops...never mind. I just realised that I forgot to point the puppet apply
    command at a manifest file. I did that and the command works now. Still, it
    would be nice if it gave an error message if you don't supply a manifest.

[...]

  • Jose Luis Ledesma at Jan 17, 2014 at 8:21 pm
    I think it was waiting for a manifest in the standard input