I'm trying to get my classes setup in hiera, but I'm having some issues,
and having problems troubleshooting them.
There doesn't seem to be any way to query either the puppetmaster or the
client to get a list of the classes that the client actually gets.

Running 'puppet node find my.node.example.com' should spit out a list of
classes, but it doesn't.

Any suggestions?

  • Mike Delaney at Dec 13, 2013 at 10:45 pm
    On the client, the list of classes applied in the last successful puppet
    run should be written to $vardir/state/classes.txt

    I'm trying to get my classes setup in hiera, but I'm having some issues,
    and having problems troubleshooting them.
    There doesn't seem to be any way to query either the puppetmaster or the
    client to get a list of the classes that the client actually gets.

    Running 'puppet node find my.node.example.com' should spit out a list of
    classes, but it doesn't.

    Any suggestions?

  • Paul Archer at Dec 16, 2013 at 7:17 pm
    I don't have a 'classes.txt' file:

    root@sftp-test2:/var/lib/puppet/state# l
    total 44
    drwxr-xr-x. 2 root root 4096 Dec 4 13:09 graphs
    -rw-r-----. 1 root root 22128 Dec 13 10:40 last_run_report.yaml
    -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 521 Dec 13 10:40 last_run_summary.yaml
    -rw-r-----. 1 root root 263 Dec 13 10:40 resources.txt
    -rw-rw----. 1 root root 5775 Dec 13 10:40 state.yaml

    I ended up coming up with this (it works, but it's clunky):
    grep /etc/puppet/modules last_run_* | awk '{print $3}' | awk -F/ '{print
    $5}' | sort -u

    On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 2:29 PM, Paul Archer <geek...@gmail.com<javascript:>
    I'm trying to get my classes setup in hiera, but I'm having some issues,
    and having problems troubleshooting them.
    There doesn't seem to be any way to query either the puppetmaster or the
    client to get a list of the classes that the client actually gets.

    Running 'puppet node find my.node.example.com' should spit out a list of
    classes, but it doesn't.

    Any suggestions?

  • Paul Archer at Dec 16, 2013 at 7:33 pm
    grep /etc/puppet/modules /var/lib/puppet/state/last_run_report.yaml | awk
    '{print $2}' | awk -F/ '{print $5}' | sort -u