our Linux, Unix and Windows Servers.

What kinds of automated hardware data can we get from Puppet? Is there a
straightforward list available of hardware specs available?

  • Dan White at Dec 11, 2013 at 8:02 pm
    Are you road-testing Puppet Open Source ?
    The list of default facts that come out of facter is impressive

    Bill Waterson (Calvin & Hobbes)

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Angelika Modawal" <modawal.angelika@gmail.com>
    To: puppet-users@googlegroups.com
    Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 1:14:25 PM
    Subject: [Puppet Users] What types of Information Can Puppet Automate?

    Hello,

    We are considering using Puppet Enterprise to help us automate data about our Linux, Unix and Windows Servers.

    What kinds of automated hardware data can we get from Puppet? Is there a straightforward list available of hardware specs available?

  • Angelika Modawal at Dec 11, 2013 at 9:48 pm
    In the process.

    I need at least a generic list of fields it can automate to understand if
    it is a viable solution for us. Do you know how I would get such list
    without downloading Puppet?

    I can't due to admin rights restrictions.
    Are you road-testing Puppet Open Source ?
    The list of default facts that come out of facter is impressive

    “Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere
    in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.”
    Bill Waterson (Calvin & Hobbes)

    ------------------------------
    We are considering using Puppet Enterprise to help us automate data about
    our Linux, Unix and Windows Servers.

    What kinds of automated hardware data can we get from Puppet? Is there a
    straightforward list available of hardware specs available?

  • Dan White at Dec 11, 2013 at 9:56 pm
    Here's a list of fact names (no values) from one of my systems with (I hope) all the custom facts removed

    architecture
    augeasversion
    bios_release_date
    bios_vendor
    bios_version
    blockdevices
    broadcast_ip
    domain
    facterversion
    filesystems
    fqdn
    hardwareisa
    hardwaremodel
    hostname
    id
    interfaces
    ipaddress
    ipaddress_eth0
    ipaddress_lo
    is_pe
    is_virtual
    kernel
    kernelmajversion
    kernelrelease
    kernelversion
    lsbdistcodename
    lsbdistdescription
    lsbdistid
    lsbdistrelease
    lsbmajdistrelease
    lsbrelease
    macaddress
    macaddress_eth0
    manufacturer
    memoryfree
    memoryfree_mb
    memorysize
    memorysize_mb
    memorytotal
    mtu_eth0
    mtu_lo
    mtu_sit0
    netmask
    netmask_eth0
    netmask_lo
    network_eth0
    network_lo
    operatingsystem
    operatingsystemmajrelease
    operatingsystemrelease
    osfamily
    path
    physicalprocessorcount
    processor0
    processorcount
    productname
    ps
    puppetversion
    rubysitedir
    rubyversion
    selinux
    serialnumber
    sshdsakey
    sshfp_dsa
    SSHFP
    sshfp_rsa
    SSHFP
    sshrsakey
    swapfree
    swapfree_mb
    swapsize
    swapsize_mb
    timezone
    type
    uniqueid
    uptime
    uptime_days
    uptime_hours
    uptime_seconds
    uuid
    virtual

    Bill Waterson (Calvin & Hobbes)

    We are considering using Puppet Enterprise to help us automate data about our Linux, Unix and Windows Servers.

    What kinds of automated hardware data can we get from Puppet? Is there a straightforward list available of hardware specs available?

  • Christopher Wood at Dec 11, 2013 at 10:04 pm
    You can 'gem install puppet' as a regular user (from your rvm'ed gem) and then run facter as yourself. I've used gem-installed facter while testing 'puppet device' against a load balancer and everything puppet worked just fine.