With our without puppet. We are looking at setting up DR nodes with
some draft ideas. We use puppet against a git repository (with ppg)
instead of against a puppet server. Nodes are actually VMs.

Configuration ideas:

  - a filesystem-level flag that indicates that the node is running as
standby spare, to use as conditional in bash/python scripts as well as
in puppet

  - some services enabled/disabled based on the standby flag

  - some cronjobs check for standby flag

Areas of exploration

  - keep standby nodes down, bring up periodically so that puppet gets
a chance to apply changes vs keep standby nodes up (perhaps with a
smaller/limited VM configuration).

  - handling 'environment' differences
    - mountpoints for app data point to different nfs servers
    - different syslog, email servers
    - ...

ideas? suggestions?

  martin.langhoff@gmail.com