I'm looking to use an external node classifier (ENC) in our environment.
  What's the easiest way to programmatically get currently applied classes
(and class parameters) for all hosts, with the goal of dumping it into a
database for later retrieval by the ENC script? Nodes are currently
classified via site.pp.

thanks

  • Ano nym at Oct 31, 2013 at 10:37 am
    Hey,

    you´ve already take a look on PuppetDB?

    Kind regards

    I'm looking to use an external node classifier (ENC) in our environment.
    What's the easiest way to programmatically get currently applied classes
    (and class parameters) for all hosts, with the goal of dumping it into a
    database for later retrieval by the ENC script? Nodes are currently
    classified via site.pp.

    thanks
  • Jeff Behl at Nov 6, 2013 at 1:40 am
    Hi -
    I'm familiar with PuppetDB, but we're not currently running it. While I'm
    sure I could enable then write something to parse out the results, I guess
    I was hoping some scripts might already exist to do this (or something
    similar) as it seems it might be a common request: what classes are
    applied to what hosts (with appropriate parameters used at runtime)
    I'm looking to use an external node classifier (ENC) in our environment.
    What's the easiest way to programmatically get currently applied classes
    (and class parameters) for all hosts, with the goal of dumping it into a
    database for later retrieval by the ENC script? Nodes are currently
    classified via site.pp.

    thanks
  • Jo Rhett at Oct 31, 2013 at 5:52 pm
    $statedir/classes.txt and related files?
    I'm looking to use an external node classifier (ENC) in our environment. What's the easiest way to programmatically get currently applied classes (and class parameters) for all hosts, with the goal of dumping it into a database for later retrieval by the ENC script? Nodes are currently classified via site.pp.

    thanks

    Jo Rhett

    Author of Instant Puppet 3 Starter: http://www.netconsonance.com/instant-puppet-3-starter-book/

  • Jeff Behl at Nov 6, 2013 at 1:40 am
    I saw classes.txt, but it's just listing the classes and not the parameters
    that were passed to them..
    $statedir/classes.txt and related files?

    I'm looking to use an external node classifier (ENC) in our environment.
    What's the easiest way to programmatically get currently applied classes
    (and class parameters) for all hosts, with the goal of dumping it into a
    database for later retrieval by the ENC script? Nodes are currently
    classified via site.pp.

    thanks

    Jo Rhett
    Net Consonance : net philanthropy to improve open source and
    internet projects.