I upgraded to puppet 3.3.1 and my clients can no longer access custom
facts or types. pluginsync = true in [main] for both clients and the
server. I suspect a problem with pluginsync because the master is
able to load the custom facts.

I looked at syslog on both machines and didn't find any error or
warning messages; just the usual messages minus the ones about loading
custom facts.

The first run after the upgrade resulted in messages about deleting
the custom facts (filebucketing them). That makes me suspect
fileserver.conf. According to our git repo, none of the *.conf files
changed. Did their interpretation change?

"puppet agent -t -d -v" doesn't show anything unusual (except the
missing lines about syncing)

Where should I start looking to debug this?

Thanks,
Tom
P.S. I'm using CentOS6.4.

--
Email: tal@whatexit.org Work: tlimoncelli@stackoverflow.com
Skype: YesThatTom

  • Tom Limoncelli at Oct 22, 2013 at 3:11 pm
    I found the issue. It turns out to be related to the use of Rack on
    the Puppet Master.

    I'll document the issue so the mailing list archive can help others.

    Tom

[...]

  • Tom Limoncelli at Oct 22, 2013 at 3:21 pm
    I found the issue. It turns out to be related to the use of Rack on
    the Puppet Master.

    I'll document the issue so the mailing list archive can help others:

    When upgrading to Puppet 3.0.0 the release notes say that config.ru
    needs to be updated:
    http://docs.puppetlabs.com/puppet/3/reference/release_notes.html#break-puppet-master-rack-configuration-is-changed

    If you don't make those changes, there is a chance that things will
    continue to work. At least at our site it seems to have continued to
    work. I guess we were lucky. However some change between 3.2.4 and
    3.1.1 made those changes required.

    Without those changes, in particular the line with "--confdir", the
    Puppet Master is pointing to the wrong directory and is unable to do
    its job. However there are no errors or warnings. The first symptom
    is that custom facts and types (and maybe more) are deleted at the
    next client run. The other symptom is that if you turn off Rack and
    run puppet master directly things start to work (of course, without
    all the benefits of Rack).

    Updating the file as specified in the URL above and restarting Rack
    fixes the problem.

    Tom