I have about 75 nodes now and recently added 6 of them. They are all
running Debian squeeze and all have exactly the same Puppet packages. One
is giving an error when I try to enroll it:

Failed to import facts: PG::UndefinedColumn: ERROR: column "environment"
of relation "hosts" does not exist
LINE 1: ...d", "created_at", "disk", "domain_id", "enabled", "environme...

: INSERT INTO "hosts" ("architecture_id", "build", "certname", "comment",
"compute_resource_id", "created_at", "disk", "domain_id", "enabled", "environment",
"environment_id", "hostgroup_id", "image_file", "image_id", "installed_at",
"ip", "last_compile", "last_freshcheck", "last_report", "location_id",
"mac", "managed", "medium_id", "model_id", "name", "operatingsystem_id",
"organization_id", "owner_id", "owner_type", "ptable_id", "puppet_ca_proxy_id",
"puppet_proxy_id","puppet_status", "root_pass", "serial", "source_file_id",
"subnet_id", "type", "updated_at", "use_image", "uuid") VALUES ($1, $2, $3,
$4, $5, $6, $7, $8, $9, $10, $11, $12, $13, $14, $15, $16, $17, $18, $19,
$20, $21, $22, $23, $24, $25, $26, $27, $28, $29, $30, $31, $32, $33, $34,
$35, $36, $37, $38, $39, $40, $41) RETURNING "id"
   Rendered text template (0.0ms)

theres nothing special about this node and other enrollments I've done
today have been fine. Exactly the same environments, same packages, same
everything. Whats different?

  • Steve Wray at Oct 16, 2013 at 7:44 am
    I just realised that between now and then there was a foreman upgrade which
    has basically broken my ability to enroll new nodes.

    Great. Thanks package maintainer.

  • Steve Wray at Oct 16, 2013 at 8:07 am
    It turned out that there was an update to the foreman package which
    completely broke Puppets ability to enroll new nodes.

    Call me old fashioned, I've been a Debian sysadmin for over 10 years, but
    on a 'stable' system an apt-get upgrade is not supposed to break things.
    Thats one of the things Debian is famous for. Just so happens my server is
    running Ubuntu server 'long term support' version and I expected something
    similar there.

    I've spent some time now ripping Foreman out. Its too unreliable and I
    don't think the benefits outweigh the costs. Puppet *without* foreman is
    just fine.

    Bye bye, foreman, I'll hardly miss you.

  • Ohad Levy at Oct 16, 2013 at 9:24 am

    It turned out that there was an update to the foreman package which
    completely broke Puppets ability to enroll new nodes.

    Call me old fashioned, I've been a Debian sysadmin for over 10 years, but
    on a 'stable' system an apt-get upgrade is not supposed to break things.
    Thats one of the things Debian is famous for. Just so happens my server is
    running Ubuntu server 'long term support' version and I expected something
    similar there.
    Would you mind sharing information about which version did you upgrade from
    <-> to ?

    we take releases very seriously (usually 4 RC with full packages) before
    rolling out an upgrade, I'm sorry it didn't work for you this time.

    Ohad

  • Steve Wray at Oct 16, 2013 at 10:48 am
    Sure, I'm using this repository

    deb http://deb.theforeman.org/ precise stable

    I upgraded from
    foreman-postgresql 1.2.3+debian1
    foreman 1.2.3+debian1
    foreman-proxy 1.2.1+ubuntu1
    foreman-installer 1.2.1-debian1

    foreman-postgresql 1.3.0-1
    foreman 1.3.0-1
    foreman-proxy 1.3.0-1
    foreman-installer 1.3.0-1

    it looks as if the upgrade didn't make the required changes to the
    database, or something like that. I dropped the db and recreated it and the
    error about the missing column went away but still couldn't enroll new
    nodes.

    I urgently needed to make this work so I just ripped out foreman. I didn't
    have time to research the issue further or try to fix foreman.

    It turned out that there was an update to the foreman package which
    completely broke Puppets ability to enroll new nodes.

    Call me old fashioned, I've been a Debian sysadmin for over 10 years, but
    on a 'stable' system an apt-get upgrade is not supposed to break things.
    Thats one of the things Debian is famous for. Just so happens my server is
    running Ubuntu server 'long term support' version and I expected something
    similar there.
    Would you mind sharing information about which version did you upgrade
    from <-> to ?

    we take releases very seriously (usually 4 RC with full packages) before
    rolling out an upgrade, I'm sorry it didn't work for you this time.

    Ohad
  • Greg Sutcliffe at Oct 16, 2013 at 12:02 pm