I continue to be unable to get puppetdb to create nagios resources. I
have a very standard nagios host definition:

        notify {"Nagios Base: $fqdn $hostname $ipaddress": }
        @@nagios_host { $fqdn:
          ensure => present,
          alias => $hostname,
          address => $ipaddress,
          use => "linux-server",
        }

...and the notify shows up on subsequent agent runs, so I know the
statement is being activated. I also know that the facts and catalogs
are winding up in the postgres database.

Despite all this, both the nagios collector and the puppetdb rest API
only show the Nagios_host resources generated on the nagios server itself.

I'm sure this is a configuration or some other error on my part, but
honestly I'm at a loss where it can be. Any help is greatly appreciated.

--
David Thompson
Waisman Center Brain Imaging and Behavior Lab

  • Jcbollinger at Oct 2, 2013 at 2:09 pm

    I continue to be unable to get puppetdb to create nagios resources.

    Nitpick: puppetdb does not create resources of any type, in any sense.
    That leaves me uncertain whether you are saying that the exported
    nagios_host resources you describe next fail to be recorded in the DB, or
    whether you are saying that despite being recorded, they are not
    subsequently collected.

    have a very standard nagios host definition:

    notify {"Nagios Base: $fqdn $hostname $ipaddress": }
    @@nagios_host { $fqdn:
    ensure => present,
    alias => $hostname,
    address => $ipaddress,
    use => "linux-server",
    }

    ...and the notify shows up on subsequent agent runs, so I know the
    statement is being activated. I also know that the facts and catalogs
    are winding up in the postgres database.
    Do you know whether the exported nagios_host resources in particular are
    ending up in the DB?

    Despite all this, both the nagios collector and the puppetdb rest API
    only show the Nagios_host resources generated on the nagios server itself.
    Could you be more specific? What are the forms of the collector and query
    URIs you are using?

    Do you actually have PuppetDB configured as your storeconfigs back end?
    Following the docs
    (http://docs.puppetlabs.com/puppetdb/latest/connect_puppet_master.html),
    you should have

       storeconfigs = true
       storeconfigs_backend = puppetdb

    in the [master] section of the master's puppet.conf, *and* thin_storeconfigs and async_storeconfigs should be disabled (the default).

    John

  • David Thompson at Oct 2, 2013 at 2:44 pm

    I continue to be unable to get puppetdb to create nagios resources.

    Nitpick: puppetdb does not create resources of any type, in any sense.
    That leaves me uncertain whether you are saying that the exported
    nagios_host resources you describe next fail to be recorded in the DB,
    or whether you are saying that despite being recorded, they are not
    subsequently collected.
    Yes, it would be better to say that the generated nagios_host.cfg file
    contains far fewer entries than are indicated by the number of hosts
    containing the nagios_host resource shown below.
    have a very standard nagios host definition:

    notify {"Nagios Base: $fqdn $hostname $ipaddress": }
    @@nagios_host { $fqdn:
    ensure => present,
    alias => $hostname,
    address => $ipaddress,
    use => "linux-server",
    }

    ...and the notify shows up on subsequent agent runs, so I know the
    statement is being activated. I also know that the facts and catalogs
    are winding up in the postgres database.

    Do you know whether the exported nagios_host resources in particular are
    ending up in the DB?
    If I turn on postgres statement logging, I can see e.g.:

    LOG: execute S_2: INSERT INTO catalog_resources
    (catalog,resource,type,title,tags,exported,file,line) VALUES
    ($1,$2,$3,$4,$5,$6,$7,$8)
    DETAIL: parameters: $1 = 'b0ddc055494f58babc8f0085245517d3424e1e63', $2
    = '5b5706ff5fe112b04f3722b5ce65d699c80a0e04', $3 = 'Nagios_host', $4 =
    'c101.keck.waisman.wisc.edu', $5 =
    '{node,nagios_host,x86_64_sci6,class,nagios,c101.keck.waisman.wisc.edu}', $6
    = 't', $7 =
    '/systypes/noarch/puppet/production/modules/nagios/manifests/init.pp',
    $8 = '125'

    (...and then c101 shows up in neither the generated nagios config nor in
    the REST query...)

    Despite all this, both the nagios collector and the puppetdb rest API
    only show the Nagios_host resources generated on the nagios server
    itself.

    Could you be more specific? What are the forms of the collector and
    query URIs you are using?
    The puppet nagios collector:

          if $nagios_server {
            Nagios_host <<||>>
          }

    The query I'm using:

    curl -G 'http://localhost:8080/v3/resources' --data-urlencode
    'query=["=", "type", "Nagios_host"]'

    (I tried updating to the latest-and-greatest puppetdb yesteday. No
    change. I get the same from the v2 URI.)
    Do you actually have PuppetDB configured as your storeconfigs back end?
    Following the docs
    (http://docs.puppetlabs.com/puppetdb/latest/connect_puppet_master.html),
    you should have
    storeconfigs = true
    storeconfigs_backend = puppetdb

    in the [master] section of the master's puppet.conf,/and/ thin_storeconfigs andasync_storeconfigs should be disabled (the default).
    Yes, this is the configuration I have on all the hosts. In addition, I
    have the following routes.yaml on the puppet server/puppetdb server (1
    host does both):

    ---
    master:
        facts:
          terminus: puppetdb
          cache: yaml

    --
    David Thompson
    Waisman Center Brain Imaging and Behavior Lab
    1500 Highland Ave. Room T133
    Madison, WI 53705-2280
    (608) 265-6608
    dthompson (at) waisman (dot) wisc (dot) edu

  • David Thompson at Oct 2, 2013 at 4:23 pm