I've set up puppetdb to manage my nagios configuration, running puppetdb
on my puppet server (on ~RHEL 6), and running postgres for the puppetdb
store. The nodes to be managed have some standard nagios host/service
exported resources, e.g.:

        @@nagios_host { $fqdn:
          ensure => present,
          alias => $hostname,
          address => $ipaddress,
          use => "linux-server",
        }
        @@nagios_service { "ping_${hostname}":
          ensure => present,
          use => "ping-service",
          host_name => "$fqdn",
        }
        @@nagios_service { "ssh_${hostname}":
          ensure => present,
          use => "ssh-service",
          host_name => "$fqdn",
        }

...and then on the nagios server, I collect the exported resources:

        Nagios_host <<||>>
        Nagios_service <<||>>

The problem I'm running into is that configs on the nagios server
(/etc/nagios/nagios_*.cfg) only contain a *subset* (~20%) of the
collected resources. Worse, I can't determine what causes a given
nagios_host or nagios_service resource to be collected.

What I do know from querying the database is that all the exported
resources are present in the puppetdb database (in catalog_resources).

Has anyone else run into this, or any hints how to proceed?

Thanks much!

--
David Thompson
Waisman Center Brain Imaging and Behavior Lab

  • Ken Barber at Sep 20, 2013 at 3:20 pm

    What I do know from querying the database is that all the exported resources
    are present in the puppetdb database (in catalog_resources).
    Did you query via the REST interface, or the database directly. The
    REST interface might be more clear, as this is pretty much what the
    puppetdb terminus uses of course.

    http://docs.puppetlabs.com/puppetdb/1.4/api/query/v2/resources.html
    Has anyone else run into this, or any hints how to proceed?
    Haven't seen or heard about this specifically. Umm ... can you prove
    the problem without Nagios? Ie. have you tried using a different
    resource to see if it occurs as well? Perhaps working around the edges
    of the problem might prove what it is _not_ which is a start.

    ken.

  • David Thompson at Sep 20, 2013 at 4:55 pm

    What I do know from querying the database is that all the exported resources
    are present in the puppetdb database (in catalog_resources).
    Did you query via the REST interface, or the database directly. The
    REST interface might be more clear, as this is pretty much what the
    puppetdb terminus uses of course.

    http://docs.puppetlabs.com/puppetdb/1.4/api/query/v2/resources.html
    Interesting. The REST interface agrees with the resulting nagios
    configuration when I query things like
    'http://localhost:8080/v2/resources/Nagios_service'.

    But like I say, I see all the Nagios_* resources present in the actual
    database. What gives?
    Has anyone else run into this, or any hints how to proceed?
    Haven't seen or heard about this specifically. Umm ... can you prove
    the problem without Nagios? Ie. have you tried using a different
    resource to see if it occurs as well? Perhaps working around the edges
    of the problem might prove what it is _not_ which is a start.
    Other resources (Package, File) seem to be present for all nodes using
    the query@<filename> method described in
    http://docs.puppetlabs.com/puppetdb/1.4/api/query/tutorial.html.