I'm trying to setup a service that doesn't support any service script.
Using the following:

  service { 'Rserve':
     ensure => 'running',
     start => '/usr/bin/R CMD Rserve --gui-none',
     provider => 'base',
   }

When I run puppet agent -t -d, it returns the following:

Debug: Service[Rserve](provider=base): Executing 'ps -ef'
Debug: Executing '/usr/bin/R CMD Rserve --gui-none'
Error: Could not start Service[Rserve]: Execution of '/usr/bin/R CMD Rserve
--gui-none' returned 2:
Error: /Service[Rserve]/ensure: change from stopped to running failed:
Could not start Service[Rserve]: Execution of '/usr/bin/R CMD Rserve
--gui-none' returned 2:

It seems the command is failed. However, if I run the same exact command as
root, the command execute fine and return 0. I'm wondering why it's failed
when puppet runs? What's the difference between puppet runs and I run?
Thanks.

  • Juan Sierra Pons at Sep 21, 2013 at 5:15 am
[...]

    it is necessary any env variable defined to run the command?

    My 5 cents ;-)

    Regards