Hi !

I am currently testing puppet on CentOS 6 and I wish to test the cloud
provisioner tool.
The problem is the following : I can't use fog because of ruby version
issue.

The system : CentOS 6.4 with Ruby 1.8.7 (last version for CentOS)

What I did to get the problem :
install puppet-server
install module puppetlabs-cloud_provisioner
Trying install Fog -v 0.7.2 (cloud service library in ruby) but a
dependence of it need a newer version of ruby (at least 1.9.2).
So I installed RVM and then ruby 1.9.2 to be able to install fog and all
its dependencies, it worked fine.
Install guid gem (required by cloud_provisioner)

Then I did : export RUBYLIB=/etc/puppet/modules/cloud_provisioner/lib:$RUBYLIB

After this, PuppetLabs suggests to test if the installation worked fine by executing :
# puppet help node_aws

Here is the result :
[root@poste403 ~]# puppet help node_aws
/usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p320/gems/nokogiri-1.6.0/lib/nokogiri/nokogiri.so: [BUG] Segmentation fault
Abandon (core dumped)

I really don't understand why this.
If anyone encountered this problem before, thanks for help.

Vincent

  • Vincent Nawrocki at Sep 19, 2013 at 8:52 am
    Hi !

    I finally found the solution using a previous version of the nokogiri gem.
    All the installation procedure is explained on
    http://nokogiri.org/tutorials/installing_nokogiri.html
    I needed to install some libxml packages with yum in order to install the
    version 1.5.10 which is running on ruby 1.8.7
    Then I easily installed the Fog gem.

    Everything works fine now.
    I still have a question : I'm working with the open source version of
    puppet and I can't use "puppet node_aws install ...", is this normal ? It
    doesn't even appear in the 'puppet help node_aws'.

    Thanks in advance !
      Vincent