I've been trying to follow several threads around Google about Puppet and
it's use (or non-use) of chkconfig on RH Linux.

What prompted me to do this is I noticed that Puppet is, correctly,
repeatedly logging that it is changing a services from ON to OFF. Funny, I
thought I had disabled that with:

      service { "ip6tables":
                 enable => false,
                 ensure => stopped,
      }

Which certainly works, but it doesn't disable the service (ie: "chkconfig
servicename off") -- it seems like there should be a provider that
correctly integrates with the system "chkconfig" -- I realize that not all
init scripts honor that, and for that folks can do whatever. This is a
basic functionality of RH Linux that enables, adds, deletes and otherwise
alters the levels of basic services. Seems reasonable that Puppet could
properly interact with it?

We are up to Puppet 3.4.x now. I'm simply asking here as I didn't seem to
find a definitive answer - a lot of code snippets and suggestions, I just
wonder if this is on-tap for improvement or if someone has another, perhaps
clever approach to working with this?

Thanks!

  • Len Rugen at Sep 12, 2013 at 12:13 am
    Try ensure disabled,