Hello,

I'm running puppet agent standalone on Windows.

The last step in the manifest is "exec { 'start_service': command => "sc
start MyService" }".

When the service has a problem and doesn't start, Puppet logs:

/Stage[main]//Exec[start_service]/returns (err): change from notrun to 0
failed: sc start MyService returned 29 instead of one of [0]

However, the %errorlevel% returned is still 0.

However, if I use "--detailed-exitcodes", the %errorlevel% is correctly set
to 6.

Regards,
Igor.

  • Rahul Khengare at Sep 2, 2013 at 5:51 am
    Hi Igor,
        You can run "sc start MyService" command manually on your machine and
    check whether the service run correctly. Also check the environment
    parameters are set for that service.
    Can you explain your query in more detail manner.

    Thanks and Regards,
    Rahul Khengare,
    NTT DATA OSS Center, Pune, India.

    I'm running puppet agent standalone on Windows.

    The last step in the manifest is "exec { 'start_service': command => "sc
    start MyService" }".

    When the service has a problem and doesn't start, Puppet logs:

    /Stage[main]//Exec[start_service]/returns (err): change from notrun to 0
    failed: sc start MyService returned 29 instead of one of [0]

    However, the %errorlevel% returned is still 0.

    However, if I use "--detailed-exitcodes", the %errorlevel% is correctly
    set to 6.

    Regards,
    Igor.
  • Igor Berger at Sep 3, 2013 at 2:23 pm
    As I mentioned, I'm running into this issue when the service fails to start.
    "sc start" returns a failure, Puppet mentions it in the log file.

    The problem is that "puppet apply" returns 0 (success) to the shell when
    "sc start" fails.
    However, "puppet apply --detailed-exitcodes" returns a failure to the shell
    correctly.

[...]

  • Rob Reynolds at Sep 3, 2013 at 2:34 pm
    What does "cmd /c sc start MyService" return?

[...]

    Developer, Puppet Labs

    Join us at PuppetConf 2014, September 23-24 in San Francisco

  • Igor Berger at Sep 3, 2013 at 2:56 pm
    It returns 1053. The "sc start" command prints:

         [SC] StartService FAILED 1053: The service did not respond to the start
    or control request in a timely fashion.

    You can easily reproduce it by registering a service with a non-existing
    executable:

         sc create MyService binPath= C:\NotThere.exe

    Then add this to a test.cmd file:

         sc start MyService
         echo %errorlevel%

    What does "cmd /c sc start MyService" return?

    On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 9:23 AM, Igor Berger <codew...@gmail.com<javascript:>
[...]

  • Igor Berger at Sep 10, 2013 at 4:29 pm
    Should log an issue about this someplace?

[...]

  • Rob Reynolds at Sep 12, 2013 at 2:07 pm
    Please log this at
    https://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/puppet/issues/new

    In keywords, please put windows.

    Thanks.

    .

    --
    Rob Reynolds
    Developer, Puppet Labs

    Join us at PuppetConf 2014, September 23-24 in San Francisco

    Rob Reynolds
    Developer, Puppet Labs

    Join us at PuppetConf 2014, September 23-24 in San Francisco

  • Igor Berger at Sep 16, 2013 at 7:12 pm
    Done: https://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/22572

[...]

  • Rob Reynolds at Sep 25, 2013 at 10:19 pm
    Just an update, I found this issue was a duplicate of
    https://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/19033. Please vote up that issue
    and/or watch that issue for further developments.