I'm looking for ways to manage multiple public cloud resources. Ideally I
would like to support the following providers:

AWS
GCE
Rackspace
Digital Ocean
Linode

And I would like to be able to manage everything - instances, volumes, load
balancers, IP addresses, database instances, etc. Even VPC's and their
equivalents.

I know this is totally pie-in-the-sky and there's nothing that meets all
those needs right now, which is OK - I'm happy to pick something with good
foundations and then help extend it. But I'm not even sure which modules to
pick to work on. Puppetlabs has Cloud Provisioner, which claims to be what
I'm looking for except that it only supports AWS, and then only ec2
instances as far as I can tell. But Puppetlabs also makes a separate AWS
module, and a GCE module. I can't find any references to Rackspace, Digital
Ocean, or Linode.

Has anyone else attempted anything like this? Is anyone currently using
Cloud Provisioner, and if so, how is it working out?

Thanks!

Chris
--
:wq

  • Nan Liu at Aug 28, 2013 at 6:35 am

[...]

    IMO, describing systems as resource makes much more sense. I'm guessing
    load-balancer and storage repo are private, but take a look at:

    https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet-instance
    https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet-cloud_connection

    HTH,

    Nan

  • Dan White at Aug 28, 2013 at 10:24 am
    From https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet-cloud_connection :

    Supported Modules?

    The following modules are known to use this type to store credentials.

         • puppet-instance
         • puppet-loadbalancer
         • puppet-storage

    If support is added to other modules, please send a pull request to update this list.

    Where are puppet-loadbalancer and puppet-storage ? The links take me to GitHub's 404 page

    Bill Waterson (Calvin & Hobbes)

[...]

  • Martin Alfke at Aug 28, 2013 at 10:51 am
    Hi,

    the mentioned modules are not yet public.
    PuppetLabs needs to review the modules first.

    We were making the cloud connection and instance module public during last weeks PuppetConf.

    hth,

    Martin
[...]

  • Dan White at Aug 28, 2013 at 11:21 am
    Great. Looking forward to them.