I'm are looking at ways to improve the way we do config management.

I know Puppet is very good at managing deploy time OS and env config,
however, when it comes to app/code config it gets a bit tricky as there are
various levels of config: build vs deploy vs runtime/dynamic.

For dynamic/runtime config I'm thinking about tools like Zookeeper, but I'm
also keen on using feature toggles that have their own config (similar to
Togglz framework).

Ideally, I would like to not manage config in multiple places, but have one
place where all the tools (Puppet, Zookeeper and Togglz) can pull the
config from (or have it pushed from that central place).

Any ideas how to approach something like this? or am I combining too many
things in one and making a mess of it?

Thanks,
Florin

  • Gareth Rushgrove at Aug 26, 2013 at 6:44 pm

    I'm are looking at ways to improve the way we do config management.

    I know Puppet is very good at managing deploy time OS and env config,
    however, when it comes to app/code config it gets a bit tricky as there are
    various levels of config: build vs deploy vs runtime/dynamic.

    For dynamic/runtime config I'm thinking about tools like Zookeeper, but I'm
    also keen on using feature toggles that have their own config (similar to
    Togglz framework).

    Ideally, I would like to not manage config in multiple places, but have one
    place where all the tools (Puppet, Zookeeper and Togglz) can pull the config
    from (or have it pushe
    d from that central place).
    Any ideas how to approach something like this? or am I combining too many
    things in one and making a mess of it?
    The approach in Puppet for separating data tends to be to use Hiera:
    https://github.com/puppetlabs/hiera

    One of the many nice things about Hiera is you can have multiple
    backends, so for instance a Zookkeeper backend
    (https://github.com/zahna/hiera_zookeeper) or my recent stab at a etcd
    backend (https://github.com/garethr/hiera-etcd)

    For Togglz you could probably write a StateRepository for Zookeeper or similar.

    Gareth
    Thanks,
    Florin

    Gareth Rushgrove
    @garethr

    devopsweekly.com
    morethanseven.net
    garethrushgrove.com

  • Florin Dragu at Aug 26, 2013 at 9:27 pm
    Thanks Gareth. I will check out Hiera and what types of backends it
    supports that I could use for all my config, including the
    Togglz StateRepository store.