Hey everyone,

I want to dist-upgrade from squeeze to wheezy. The version will change from
puppet 2.6.2 to puppet 2.7.18.

Before starting the upgrade I would like to know if there were any syntax
changes or stuff that could break my setup because of the version change.
I updated my puppet manifest after dist-upgrade from lenny to squeeze.
There were a lot of changes I had to do.

Currently my puppet manifest is not organized in modules. I'm not sure if
that could lead to problems after upgrading.

Does anybody know where changes or hints are documented?
(http://docs.puppetlabs.com/puppet/2.7/reference/release_notes.html didn't
really help me.)

Or has anybody made experiences concerning dist-upgrading to wheezy and
puppet setups.

Thanks in advance.

  • Stig Sandbeck Mathisen at Aug 23, 2013 at 2:57 pm

    I want to dist-upgrade from squeeze to wheezy. The version will change
    from puppet 2.6.2 to puppet 2.7.18.

    Before starting the upgrade I would like to know if there were any
    syntax changes or stuff that could break my setup because of the
    version change.
    Check syslog on your puppet master. Deprecations will be visible there.

    --
    Stig Sandbeck Mathisen

  • Maling list at Aug 24, 2013 at 6:56 am

    I want to dist-upgrade from squeeze to wheezy. The version will change
    from puppet 2.6.2 to puppet 2.7.18.

    Before starting the upgrade I would like to know if there were any
    syntax changes or stuff that could break my setup because of the
    version change.
    Check syslog on your puppet master. Deprecations will be visible there.

    --
    Stig Sandbeck Mathisen
    It would be nice to be able to prepare for the most problem - before -
    breaking the setup.

    Does anybody has more experiences on this issue.

  • Stig Sandbeck Mathisen at Aug 26, 2013 at 10:29 am

    maling list writes:

    It would be nice to be able to prepare for the most problem - before -
    breaking the setup.

    Does anybody has more experiences on this issue.
    Seriously. Check your syslog _before_ upgrading. New features, scope
    changes, and other potential problems are marked as "will be deprecated
    in the next major release" in the syslog. Apart from that, read the
    release notes.

    Apart from that, I hope you've already done the following:

    Read the release notes in the puppet documentation regarding upgrading.
    Follow the steps described.

    Upgrade your puppet master to the latest available patch release of your
    current version of puppet. Deprecation warnings may have been added.
    Check syslog again after running a few agents.

    Copy your current puppet master to a virtual server, snapshot it, and
    upgrade it. Point test clients to it, and see what breaks. Rollback to
    the snapshot, fix the problem in a hopefully
    compatible-with-the-old-release way, and try again.

    If you're completely stuck, ask on the puppet user mailing list. :)

    --
    Stig Sandbeck Mathisen

  • Maling list at Aug 26, 2013 at 2:11 pm

[...]

    I already read some of the official puppet docs concering upgrading but I
    didn't find anything which lists possible syntax changes or describes what
    could not work anymore in version 2.7. Thanks for the hint. I wasn't aware
    of the "will be deprecated in the next major release" messages in syslog.
    I'll check that. I think I also won't get around testing on virtual
    machines.

  • Felix Frank at Aug 26, 2013 at 2:21 pm
    Hi,

    I found 2.6 -> 2.7 to be quite pleasant. There are new deprecations, but
    there was nothing in our manifests that broke or acted "funny".

    Do have a test master and perform gratuitous --noop runs against it if
    you're paranoid about this kind of thing. I know I am.

    Stig's advice is very good, but be sure to restart your puppet master /
    apache server before you audit your logs. The deprecation notices are
    not shown throughout the lifetime of the puppet master. You will see
    them from a fresh master process though.

    HTH,
    Felix