Hi All,

I currently make use of Icinga (nagios fork) + Puppet for fully automated
monitoring. It's worked great up to this point. I've recently been asked to
integrate fine grained notifications support into icinga. I'm not entirely
sure puppet manifests are the right place to manage contacts, contact
groups, and their use within host and service definitions for notifications.

Has anyone made use of the puppet + Nagios XI? Would it be possible to
manage notifications within the webUI while still using puppet for
generating the host,hostgroup,service configs?

Pagerduty isn't an option for reasons I can't get into here.

Thanks,
Ryan

  • John Zimmerman at Dec 5, 2013 at 4:56 pm
    Hi Ryan,

    Were you able to get something figured out regarding Nagios XI + Puppet? I
    am also looking for a clean way to incorporate the two. So far the WebUI
    for Nagios XI is disjointed, but convenient compared to config files for
    some. But it is not as clear cut to me on how to automate with Puppet
    while keeping the XI features.
    I currently make use of Icinga (nagios fork) + Puppet for fully automated
    monitoring. It's worked great up to this point. I've recently been asked to
    integrate fine grained notifications support into icinga. I'm not entirely
    sure puppet manifests are the right place to manage contacts, contact
    groups, and their use within host and service definitions for notifications.

    Has anyone made use of the puppet + Nagios XI? Would it be possible to
    manage notifications within the webUI while still using puppet for
    generating the host,hostgroup,service configs?

    Pagerduty isn't an option for reasons I can't get into here.

    Thanks,
    Ryan
  • Loxo at Dec 5, 2013 at 11:13 pm
    I use NagiosXI and Puppet and have had some success in developing some
    interoperability without sacrificing the controls of the gui. My
    environment consists of linux hosts running puppet and a myriad of windows
    and netowrking devices which were all configured in NagiosXI via the gui.

    Generally speaking, building service and host configurations for NagiosXI
    are the same as they were for Nagios Core. You'll use exported resources to
    generate configurations.

    To then import them to NagiosQL (what Nagios XI uses for a database in lieu
    of traditional nagios flat-file configurations) you place the
    configurations built by puppet into the import directory, which for their
    CentOS release is located at */usr/local/nagios/etc/import/*.
    You have two options for the import routine. You can use the import tool
    from within NagiosXI located within the core config manager, or you can use
    the bash script at */usr/local/nagiosxi/scripts/reconfigure_nagios.sh*
    The script must be executed with /usr/local/nagiosxi/scripts/ as its
    current working directory.
    I prefer the script. Others prefer the gui. The choice is yours.

    There's an option here to create an Exec resource for that script that then
    subscribes to the import directory and automate the whole procedure. The
    caveat is that the import directory is cleared out whenever the script is
    run. In effect, this will fire off that reconfigure script every 30 minutes
    when the nagiosxi server initiates a puppet run and populates that
    directory with the configuration files.

    For now, what I do is create a directory in which the Puppet uses as a
    target, then manually copy the files over as they get updated with new
    services/servers. My Nagios configs rarely change so it works for the level
    interaction I need. I'd love to hear if anyone has a more elegant ways to
    do this.

    Cheers,
    Sam
    I currently make use of Icinga (nagios fork) + Puppet for fully automated
    monitoring. It's worked great up to this point. I've recently been asked to
    integrate fine grained notifications support into icinga. I'm not entirely
    sure puppet manifests are the right place to manage contacts, contact
    groups, and their use within host and service definitions for notifications.

    Has anyone made use of the puppet + Nagios XI? Would it be possible to
    manage notifications within the webUI while still using puppet for
    generating the host,hostgroup,service configs?

    Pagerduty isn't an option for reasons I can't get into here.

    Thanks,
    Ryan
  • Jeff Bachtel at Dec 8, 2013 at 5:22 pm
    I don't have Nagios XI (still using Icinga) but could you copy out the code
    from */usr/local/nagiosxi/scripts/reconfigure_nagios.sh* needed to import
    files (but not the removal code) and put it in an exec resource (directly
    or via a new customer shell script) that subscribes to your target
    directory? You'd get the benefit of automated updates, and because your
    subset of the code wouldn't rm imported files, you wouldn't kick off every
    30 minutes.

    Jeff

[...]

    https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/30fa41ee-f06b-4042-b759-9bfdd1e01bb2%40googlegroups.com
    .

  • Devesh mehta at Feb 15, 2016 at 2:07 pm
    Hi Sam and Jef,

    I am also trying to create the Puppet Module for Nagios XI. I am able to
    genterate the individual config file for each host & service in import
    directory.

    I have create a exec block execue the reconfigure script and subscribe it
    to import directory resource. But the issue is, even after creation of new
    config files in import directory it does call the execute block.

    If I run the reconfigure script manually it loads the config and configure
    the checks in Nagios XI.

    Secondly, how to handle the inventory on the hosts and services and to
    avoid reloads of nagios after every 30 mins if there is no new checks in
    the Import directory.

    Attached is my code please suggest if you have done it in past.

    A quick revert on this is much appreciated.

    Thanks in advance

    Thanks
    Devesh

    M: +44 7570 1905 85