I'm using the puppetlabs firewall module and have issues where other
definitions that download files are executed between firewall rules being
applied, causing the file downloads to fail.

Firewall is configured as recommended

   Firewall {
     before => Class['maestro_nodes::firewall::post'],
     require => Class['maestro_nodes::firewall::pre'],
   }

https://github.com/maestrodev/puppet-maestro_nodes/tree/master/manifests/firewall

Then I'm using the wget module that creates a definition to download any
file using wget, ie

   wget::fetch { 'fetch-selenium' :
     source =>
'http://selenium.googlecode.com/files/selenium-server-standalone-2.20.0.jar',
     destination =>
"${installdir}/lib/selenium-server-standalone-2.20.0.jar",
   }

https://github.com/maestrodev/puppet-wget/blob/master/manifests/fetch.pp

Can I enforce that all 'firewall' resources need to happen before all
'wget' definitions? I know how to do it for resources, but no idea how to
accomplish the same for definitions.

I tried several things like

Firewall <| |> -> Wget::Fetch <| |>

but no luck

Do I need to convert the wget::fetch definition to a type?

Thanks