     ensure => 'installed',
     name => 'zookeeper',
   }
   package { 'zookeeper-gem':
     ensure => 'installed',
     name => 'zookeeper',
     provider => 'gem',
   }

This just fails with "Cannot alias Package[zookeeper-gem] to
["zookeeper"] [...] resource ["Package", "zookeeper"] already declared".

Is there a nice way to not handle this with "realize" or defines? At
least that is what I was able to dig up. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I understand that from the Puppet point of view both are package
resources with the same name. But from the human(my) side this doesn't
make much sense.

Cheers and thanks,

Shorty

  • Paul Tötterman at Jul 12, 2013 at 2:32 pm

    I understand that from the Puppet point of view both are package
    resources with the same name. But from the human(my) side this doesn't
    make much sense.
    May I suggest a couple of workarounds?

    - Use fpm to convert the gem to a deb.
    - Use fpm to create a deb package called zookeeper-deb that only depends on
    the deb package zookeeper but doesn't contain any files.

    Cheers,
    Paul

  • Jcbollinger at Jul 12, 2013 at 9:59 pm

    This just fails with "Cannot alias Package[zookeeper-gem] to
    ["zookeeper"] [...] resource ["Package", "zookeeper"] already declared".

    Is there a nice way to not handle this with "realize" or defines? At
    least that is what I was able to dig up. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

    No amount of defines, virtual resources, or other tricks, nice or
    otherwise, will persuade Puppet to accept two resources of the same type
    with the same name or title.

    I understand that from the Puppet point of view both are package
    resources with the same name. But from the human(my) side this doesn't
    make much sense.
    Feel free to construe it as a shortcoming of Puppet. Personally, though, I
    think it is unwise to create such a requirement for yourself in the first
    place. It is unwise to use multiple package managers with overlapping
    areas of authority. Instead, obtain or create packages for the host
    system's native package manager (apparently Apt in this case).

    John