I'm trying to write my first puppet template, but I am running into some
issues. The following is my template:

*# Managed by Puppet*
*CONFIG_FILE=/etc/rabbitmq/rabbitmq*
*<% if @rabbitmq_port != 'UNSET' -%>*
*NODE_PORT=<%= @rabbitmq_port %>*
*<% end -%>*
*<% if @rabbitmq_address != 'UNSET' -%>*
*NODE_IP_ADDRESS=<%= @rabbitmq_address %>*
*<% end -%>*

This is a pretty simply template, but the issue I'm seeing is that
"NODE_PORT=" & "NODE_IP_ADDRESS=" is always printed into the config file
regardless if the variables are set to UNSET or not. What I'm wanting to do
is not print NODE_PORT= or NODE_IP_ADDRESS= if the matching variable is
equal to UNSET.

Output of configuration file when rabbitmq_port and rabbitmq_address are
set to UNSET:

*# Managed by Puppet*
*CONFIG_FILE=/etc/rabbitmq/rabbitmq*
*NODE_PORT=*
*NODE_IP_ADDRESS=*
*
*
Any help would be appreciated!

  • Badgerea at Jul 13, 2013 at 3:01 pm
    Could you show the puppet code that sets '$rabbitmq_port' and
    '$rabbitmq_address' ?

    I'd recommend dropping a line like this in your template:

    *NODE_PORT=<%= @rabbitmq_port.inspect %>*

    (If you see 'nil', the variable either hasn't been set or has been set to
    'undef').

    Eric

  • Virender Khatri at Jul 15, 2013 at 3:55 am
    If you are using hiera, you can set the default value to UNSET for those
    variables, it should do it.

    *rabbitmq_port = hiera('**rabbitmq_port','UNSET')*
    *
    *
    If you are using host facts, you can modify if condition like this:

    *<% if **@rabbitmq_port != '' and **@rabbitmq_port != 'UNSET' -%>*
    *
    *
    -Virender

    Could you show the puppet code that sets '$rabbitmq_port' and
    '$rabbitmq_address' ?

    I'd recommend dropping a line like this in your template:

    *NODE_PORT=<%= @rabbitmq_port.inspect %>*

    (If you see 'nil', the variable either hasn't been set or has been set to
    'undef').

    Eric

  • Jcbollinger at Jul 15, 2013 at 1:14 pm

[...]

    I was going to suggest that you add some debugging output to the template
    to show the values of the test variables, but in fact, the regular output
    tells the story. Note that it does *not* contain

    NODE_PORT=UNSET
    NODE_IP_ADDRESS=UNSET

    , which is what you might expect it to print if the conditionals were
    somehow not working. The variables do not contain the values you think
    they do.

    My first guess would be that the Puppet variables you are trying to access
    from the template are neither global nor local to the scope in which the
    template is evaluated. Perhaps they belong to a parent scope. In
    particular, note that defined type bodies establish their own scopes. To
    my knowledge, defined-type instances do not inherit variables from the
    class that declares them (though they can reference class variables by all
    the normal mechanisms).

    John