I run puppet 3.2.2 on about 500 RedHat 5/6 systems. I have about 15
Ubuntu servers that run OpenStack; today I added the stdlib module to
take advantage of the file_line type in a new module I had written AND
I upgraded the puppet clients from 2.7 to match the other RedHat
clients. This automatically upgraded ruby from 1.8 to 1.9.

The first run of puppet agent successfully applied my new module, but
each subsequent run results in this error:

root@ceph-cs-sn-06i:/var/lib/puppet/lib/facter# puppet agent -t
Info: Retrieving plugin
Error: Could not retrieve local facts: undefined method `each' for
#<String:0x0000000259f630>
Error: Failed to apply catalog: Could not retrieve local facts:
undefined method `each' for #<String:0x0000000259f630>

The problem here is that I use each a lot. How can I troubleshoot
this further, and is it possible that something has changed in ruby
1.9 that is causing this?

Thanks.

--
\*..+.-
--Greg Chavez

  • Greg Chavez at Jul 11, 2013 at 9:34 pm
    Removing ruby1.9.1 fixed the problem.
[...]

  • Josh Cooper at Jul 15, 2013 at 4:44 pm

[...]

    Ruby 1.8 automatically coerces strings and single-element arrays, so
    "string" becomes ["string"], and #each can be called on it. Ruby 1.9 does
    not do this, so things magically break.

    Can you run `puppet agent -t --trace`? If the issue is not with a custom
    fact you've written, please file a ticket in redmine against facter and
    include the relevant stacktrace.

    Josh

    --
    Josh Cooper
    Developer, Puppet Labs

    *Join us at PuppetConf 2013, August 22-23 in San Francisco - *
    http://bit.ly/pupconf13*
    **Register now and take advantage of the Early Bird discount - save 25%!*