hi, im trying to update the puppet windows agent on my windows server 2008
r2 node.

i installed puppet-3.2.2 manually. my goal is to update the puppet agent to
puppet-3.2.3-rc1

i tried that with the following manifest:

*init.pp:*

class base_puppet_agent {
    include base_puppet_agent::install,
            base_puppet_agent::service,
            base_puppet_agent::config
}

*install.pp:*

class base_puppet_agent::install {
    case $::operatingsystem {
       windows : {
          package { 'PuppetWindows':
             name => 'Puppet',
             ensure => installed,
             source => 'puppet:\\\modules\base_puppet_agent\puppet-3.2.3-rc1.msi',
             provider => windows
       centos, redhat: {
          package { 'puppet':
             ensure => installed,

*service.pp:*

class base_puppet_agent::service {
    service { 'puppet':
       ensure => running,
       enable => true,
       hasstatus => true,
       hasrestart => true

*config.pp:*

class base_puppet_agent::config {

    case $::operatingsystem {
       windows: {
          #Windows
          file { 'C:\ProgramData\PuppetLabs\puppet\etc\puppet.conf':
             source => "puppet:///modules/base_puppet_agent/puppet_windows.conf",
             notify => Service['puppet'],
             require => Package ['PuppetWindows']
       centos, redhat: {
          #Linux
          file { '/etc/puppet/puppet.conf':
             source => "puppet:///modules/base_puppet_agent/puppet.conf",
             owner => 'root',
             group => 'root',
             mode => '0644',
             notify => Service['puppet'],
             require => Package ['puppet']

the puppet run works perfectly. no errors whatsoever. the problem is, that
it doesn't update to the desired version. it just checks, if a package
named "puppet" is installed, but ignores the current version.

thoughts?

  • Dan White at Jul 4, 2013 at 10:17 pm
    On Linux, you would do this:

    install.pp:

    class base_puppet_agent::install {
        case $::operatingsystem {
           windows : {
              package { 'PuppetWindows':
                 name => 'Puppet',
                 ensure => installed,
                 source => 'puppet:\\\modules\base_puppet_agent\puppet-3.2.3-rc1.msi',
                 provider => windows
           centos, redhat: {
              package { 'puppet':
                 ensure => latest, # <--------

    And the Linux package provider would know when a new version is available. I am not sure if Windows can do that.

    From http://docs.puppetlabs.com/references/3.2.latest/type.html#package, it says:

    ensure
    What state the package should be in. On packaging systems that can retrieve new packages on their own, you can choose which package to retrieve by specifying a version number or latest as the ensure value. On packaging systems that manage configuration files separately from “normal” system files, you can uninstall config files by specifying purged as the ensure value. Valid values are present (also calledinstalled), absent, purged, held, latest. Values can match /./.

    You might find these links of help:

    http://docs.puppetlabs.com/windows/writing.html#packagepackage
    http://docs.puppetlabs.com/windows/troubleshooting.html#package
[...]

  • Rob Reynolds at Jul 31, 2013 at 2:16 pm
    The windows package provider doesn't have this information. You could
    alternatively try the chocolatey package provider. It's available on the
    forge: http://forge.puppetlabs.com/rismoney/chocolatey

    --
    Rob Reynolds
    Developer, Puppet Labs

    *Join us at PuppetConf 2013, August 22-23 in San Francisco - *
    http://bit.ly/pupconf13*
    **Register now and take advantage of the Final Countdown discount - save
    15%!*

    'puppet:\\\modules\base_puppet_agent\puppet-3.2.3-rc1.msi',
    provider => windows
    centos, redhat: {
    package { 'puppet':
    ensure => latest, # <--------

    And the Linux package provider would know when a new version is available.
    I am not sure if Windows can do that.

    From http://docs.puppetlabs.com/references/3.2.latest/type.html#package,
    it says: