I want to implement a password policy such as min_age & max_age users
manifests for puppet windows.

What will be the correct syntax for the same.

Thanks

  • Josh Cooper at Jul 1, 2013 at 11:14 pm

    I want to implement a password policy such as min_age & max_age users
    manifests for puppet windows.

    What will be the correct syntax for the same.

    Thanks

    Puppet's built-in user provider on windows does not manage password age,
    but you can easily set the appropriate values in the registry[1] using the
    registry module[2].

    Josh

    [1] http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555540
    [2] http://forge.puppetlabs.com/puppetlabs/registry

    --
    Josh Cooper
    Developer, Puppet Labs

    *Join us at PuppetConf 2013, August 22-23 in San Francisco - *
    http://bit.ly/pupconf13*
    **Register now and take advantage of the Early Bird discount - save 25%!*

  • Rich Siegel at Jul 2, 2013 at 12:45 pm
    I probably wouldn't use registry, since it feels hackish.

    If it is a domain joined pc I would use group policy and can support fine grain pw policies. No puppet required.

    If its a workgroup pc or you want to manage it locally instead of gpo:
    On reference computer------------------------------1.       Click Start -> Run, type “secpol.msc”, to open the Security Policy tool.
    2.       Configure the Password Policy as required.
    3.       Right click “Security Settings”, and click “Export Policy…” to export the settings to a .inf file.
    4.       Copy the .inf file to files folder of your module
    5. Deploy inf file via file resource or use file function on command.
    6. Exec resource the following command to import the policy file: Secedit /configure /db secedit.sdb /cfg <exported.inf file>