Hey,

I'm pretty new to puppet and am using it to provision development
environments.

How should I handle deploy keys for github/bitbucket. Every env will
require having the same key distributed. Should I generate the key and put
it in a template then move the priv/pub key to the box via puppet?

Cheers,

  • Elias Probst at Jun 29, 2013 at 10:46 pm
    I assume your developers connect to these development instances via SSH.
    Then every developer should manage his pub/priv key locally and use SSH's
    agent forwarding when connecting to the development instance, where his key
    will be then available for committing to git.

    This has several advantages:
    - prevents possible security issues with having private keys in your
    deployment
    - each developer can use his own identity instead of having a single
    identity shared between multiple developers
    - more finegrained access control for your git repositories

    Regards,
    Elias

    I'm pretty new to puppet and am using it to provision development
    environments.

    How should I handle deploy keys for github/bitbucket. Every env will
    require having the same key distributed. Should I generate the key and put
    it in a template then move the priv/pub key to the box via puppet?

    Cheers,
  • Elias Probst at Jun 29, 2013 at 10:46 pm
    I assume your developers connect to these development instances via SSH.

grouppuppet-users @
categoriespuppet
postedJun 29, '13 at 2:25p
activeJun 29, '13 at 10:46p
websitepuppetlabs.com

2 users in discussion

Elias Probst: 2 posts Brian pearce: 1 post