Hello folks,

I am currently using Puppet to forge the nagios configuration files. Using
exported ressources it really works well - to a point.

The one thing I am banging my head against is the service definitions. The
services use stuff like remote-nrpe-zombie-procs, which of course, is not
defined anywhere:

define service {
     ## --PUPPET_NAME-- (called '_naginator_name' in the
manifest) check_zombie_procs_gaming
     use remote-nrpe-zombie-procs
     host_name gaming.alpha-labs.net
}

So far I am letting puppet generate the three configs:

nagios_host.cfg
nagios_hostextinfo.cfg
nagios_service.cfg

Tho for this to work I would need a corresponding commands.cfg and all the
Howtos out there do not seem to have my problem. The important snipplet
from my config would be this:

  Nagios_host <<||>> {
      require => File[resource-d],
      notify => Service[icinga],
  }

  Nagios_service <<||>> {
      require => File[resource-d],
      notify => Service[icinga],
  }

  Nagios_hostextinfo <<||>> {
      require => File[resource-d],
      notify => Service[icinga],
  }

  Nagios_command <<||>> {
      require => File[resource-d],
      notify => Service[icinga],
  }

After banging my head for 3 evenings on this I really need your help.
Thanks for any pointers.

-Chris.

  • Pete Brown at Jun 28, 2013 at 2:24 am
    Shameless plug.
    I wrote a module to do pretty much what you are trying to achieve.
    http://forge.puppetlabs.com/rendhalver/monitoring
    It currently works on CentOS and Fedora. Debian/Ubuntu support is in progress.
    I also have a couple of other modules for managing nrpe and icinga
    Feel free to have a look at the code on github for inspiration even if
    you don't install it.

    Pete.
[...]

  • Stephen Jahl at Jun 28, 2013 at 3:03 pm
    In my experience, exporting nagios_command resources doesn't work so well.
    What I've found works best, is to define nagios_command{}'s directly on the
    server, rather than exporting and collecting them there later.

    In my setup, the only resource that export is the nagios_host. I define
    commands and services on the server, and assign the services to hostgroups.
    Hosts then get service checks assigned to them based on which hostgroups I
    put them in (usually done via the hosts role definition). I find that this
    works well, since it doesn't leave me with multiple exported nagios_service
    resources for every single host, that will eventually need to get cleaned
    out of PuppetDB when the host is no longer in service.

    -Steve

    On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 12:07 PM, Christian Reiß
[...]

  • Jakov Sosic at Jun 28, 2013 at 3:59 pm

    In my experience, exporting nagios_command resources doesn't work so
    well. What I've found works best, is to define nagios_command{}'s
    directly on the server, rather than exporting and collecting them there
    later.

    In my setup, the only resource that export is the nagios_host. I define
    commands and services on the server, and assign the services to
    hostgroups. Hosts then get service checks assigned to them based on
    which hostgroups I put them in (usually done via the hosts role
    definition). I find that this works well, since it doesn't leave me with
    multiple exported nagios_service resources for every single host, that
    will eventually need to get cleaned out of PuppetDB when the host is no
    longer in service.
    Yeah, that approach seems better performance-wise. Tank you for sharing :)

    --
    Jakov Sosic
    www.srce.unizg.hr

  • Juan Sierra Pons at Oct 17, 2013 at 11:44 am
[...]

    Hello Chris,
    I am facing here the same problem. Did you manage to fix/workaround it?

    Thank you

    Best regards

  • Sans at Oct 17, 2013 at 12:56 pm
    Hi steve,

    So, you have all the "services" defined statically on the Nagios server?
    That setup only works, I think, if you install your Nagios server at the
    very end of your deployment process and all the clients are up and ready
    before the server. If you do a parallel deployment, then there is a very
    good chance that Nagios will refuse to start at the first run. Cheers!!

    In my experience, exporting nagios_command resources doesn't work so well.
    What I've found works best, is to define nagios_command{}'s directly on the
    server, rather than exporting and collecting them there later.

    In my setup, the only resource that export is the nagios_host. I define
    commands and services on the server, and assign the services to hostgroups.
    Hosts then get service checks assigned to them based on which hostgroups I
    put them in (usually done via the hosts role definition). I find that this
    works well, since it doesn't leave me with multiple exported nagios_service
    resources for every single host, that will eventually need to get cleaned
    out of PuppetDB when the host is no longer in service.

    -Steve
  • Gabriel Filion at Oct 17, 2013 at 2:32 pm

    <http://gaming.alpha-labs.net>
    }

    So far I am letting puppet generate the three configs:

    nagios_host.cfg
    nagios_hostextinfo.cfg
    nagios_service.cfg

    Tho for this to work I would need a corresponding commands.cfg and
    all the Howtos out there do not seem to have my problem.
    Hello Chris,

    I am facing here the same problem. Did you manage to fix/workaround it?
    This might be of interest to you two:

    https://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/1180

    the way I currently work around the inability to export host/service
    templates is by defining a file resource in which I write the templates.

    --
    Gabriel Filion
  • Juan Sierra Pons at Oct 18, 2013 at 7:51 am

    Right now I am using a workaround similar to Steve's approach and it
    works pretty well

    Just checking what other people is doing

    Thank for your replies and time

    Best regards

    Juan Sierra Pons juan@elsotanillo.net
    Linux User Registered: #257202 http://www.elsotanillo.net
    GPG key = 0xA110F4FE
    Key Fingerprint = DF53 7415 0936 244E 9B00 6E66 E934 3406 A110 F4FE