I have a Vagrant-controlled VM and I am trying to copy in files and
directories when the VM gets provisioned. I have tried file:///, drive name
with slashes and drive name with backwards slashes. Cannot get any of those
to work. Also, no amount of Googling for relevant terms has turned up
results for how to create a "puppet:" protocol directory mapping pointing
to somewhere on my hard disk. How is that supposed to work?

file { "/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf":
   source => "file:///E/.../httpd.conf"
}

file { "/etc/httpd/conf/vhosts":
   ensure => directory,
   source => "E:/.../vhosts",
   recurse => "true"
}

file { "/etc/php.ini":
   source => "E:\...\php.ini"

  • Jcbollinger at Jun 28, 2013 at 1:29 pm

    I have a Vagrant-controlled VM and I am trying to copy in files and
    directories when the VM gets provisioned. I have tried file:///, drive name
    with slashes and drive name with backwards slashes. Cannot get any of those
    to work.

    What error messages are you getting? Does running the agent with --debug
    output enabled tell you anything new?

    Also, no amount of Googling for relevant terms has turned up results for
    how to create a "puppet:" protocol directory mapping pointing to somewhere
    on my hard disk. How is that supposed to work?

    The puppet: protocol cannot map directly to a file; it involves connecting
    to a puppetmaster's built-in file server, or at least something emulating
    that.

    file { "/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf":
    source => "file:///E/.../httpd.conf"
    }

    file { "/etc/httpd/conf/vhosts":
    ensure => directory,
    source => "E:/.../vhosts",
    recurse => "true"
    }

    file { "/etc/php.ini":
    source => "E:\...\php.ini"
    }
    If you were going to copy the file manually (i.e. via the 'cp' command),
    what would the fully-qualified source filename be? You should be able to
    use that as the value of the 'source' property.

    Are you certain that the desired source file is in fact accessible to the
    agent?

    John