I have an installation that I'm trying to manage with puppet. For some of
the packages we want to have very tight control over the versions. Since
they are critical to our application, we only upgrade them after testing in
our test environment, and we schedule upgrades during low traffic times. I
don't want puppet to upgrade my database whenever a new package appears. I
specified the version in my puppet manifest to prevent the package from
automatically upgrading, however when I went to generate another instance
using the same config, that version of the package was gone from the Ubuntu
repo. Only the more recent ones are there.

For some of the packages, I've been packing them myself into my own repo,
however packaging the database (postgresql) has proven too be too much
overhead.

Any solutions or ideas?

We're using Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS.

Thanks,

Andres

  • Jakov Sosic at Jun 16, 2013 at 6:23 pm

    I have an installation that I'm trying to manage with puppet. For some
    of the packages we want to have very tight control over the versions.
    Since they are critical to our application, we only upgrade them after
    testing in our test environment, and we schedule upgrades during low
    traffic times. I don't want puppet to upgrade my database whenever a new
    package appears. I specified the version in my puppet manifest to
    prevent the package from automatically upgrading, however when I went to
    generate another instance using the same config, that version of the
    package was gone from the Ubuntu repo. Only the more recent ones are there.

    For some of the packages, I've been packing them myself into my own
    repo, however packaging the database (postgresql) has proven too be too
    much overhead.

    Any solutions or ideas?
    You can keep local copy of ubuntu repos, which you could update only
    when you choose to, or you can have your own local repo in which you
    will copy only postgresql related pacakges (if it's only postgresql
    which is being a problem).

  • Ken Chida at Jun 17, 2013 at 8:38 am
    Why not do:

    package {'foo':
         ensure => present
    }

    This will only ensure that some version of 'foo' is installed. Also, I've
    found that excessive pinning slows down 'apt-cache policy', which puppet
    appears to run for each package resource. I've improved puppet runs by an
    order of magnitude by removing pins.

    -Ken
[...]

  • Rajat Patel at Jun 17, 2013 at 10:05 am
    In my opinion the version and/or holdable features should be re-implemented
    as a new variable, such as:

    package { 'apache2'
       ensure => installed,
       version => '2.0.64',
       hold => true,
    }

    Rajat
[...]

  • Jcbollinger at Jun 17, 2013 at 2:55 pm