Hello,
I have started using puppet recently and my primary purpose is to use
puppet to maintain state of a bunch of network devices, I have explored the
basics of configuring switch interfaces using puppet, I feel there
is necessity to extend it to do more complex jobs on network devices. I
have tried finding ways to do several other jobs on switch using puppet but
could not find much. If any one could point me some links which may help me
explore all the implemented things for network management then it would be
a great help aslo I'm looking forward to write new ruby modules to help
myself and publish them if the work is significant. So thinking of
extending puppets where should I start? any specific docs which I can refer?

Your response is valuable and appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
Vatsa

  • Jakov Sosic at Jun 7, 2013 at 6:06 pm

    I have started using puppet recently and my primary purpose is to use
    puppet to maintain state of a bunch of network devices, I have explored
    the basics of configuring switch interfaces using puppet, I feel there
    is necessity to extend it to do more complex jobs on network devices. I
    have tried finding ways to do several other jobs on switch using puppet
    but could not find much. If any one could point me some links which may
    help me explore all the implemented things for network management then
    it would be a great help aslo I'm looking forward to write new ruby
    modules to help myself and publish them if the work is significant. So
    thinking of extending puppets where should I start? any specific docs
    which I can refer?
    I think you should probably write your own custom types. Take a look at
    F5 modules.

    --
    Jakov Sosic
    www.srce.unizg.hr

  • Srivatsa rao at Jun 7, 2013 at 8:11 pm
    Thanks a lot for the response!

    Is there any developer guide or something similar which I can follow to
    know internal working of puppet in detail? so that I can go to right places
    and test/add modules.
    Any material in this direction will be very helpful to me.

    Thanks,
    Vatsa
[...]

  • Badgerea at Jun 8, 2013 at 5:17 pm

    Is there any developer guide or something similar which I can follow to
    know internal working of puppet in detail? so that I can go to right places
    and test/add modules.
    Any material in this direction will be very helpful to me.
    Vatsa,

    There are a couple of puppetlabs documents on creating custom types:
    http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/custom_types.html
    http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/complete_resource_example.html

    as well as books (haven't read these, so can't vouch personally):
    - Puppet Types and Providers
    - Pro Puppet (this covers lots of puppet topics)

    Though arguably most helpful will be looking at existing puppet types and
    providers:
    https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet/tree/master/lib/puppet/type
    https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet/tree/master/lib/puppet/provider
    and various modules on forge.puppetlabs.com

    Eric

  • Srivatsa rao at Jun 9, 2013 at 11:59 pm
    Thanks a lot for the pointer :)

    Means a lot to me thanks :)