Hello,

I've got Package resource on my Windows machine that keeps creating itself
even though the package has been properly installed.

I've got the name attribute set to the DisplayName found in the Registry
for the package.

Every time the agent polls, I see in the Event Logs:

/Stage[main]/Mssql_rtwo_sptwo/Package[mssql2008r2sp2_exec]/ensure: created

This is what's in my manifest:

package { 'mssql2008r2sp2_exec':
     ensure => installed,
     name => 'SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 Common Files',
     provider => windows,
     source => "C:\\puppet_temp\\${mssql_filename}",
     install_options => ['/quiet', '/IAcceptSQLServerLicenseTerms',
'/allinstances'],
     require => Exec['run_mssql2008r2sp2_artifact_extract_ps1'],
   }

I'm thinking there has got to be some weird bug/error with this ... Can
anyone help?

Thanks in advance

  • Kevin D at Jun 10, 2013 at 2:56 pm
    Reginal,

    Does it work if you put the contents of the parameter 'name' into the title
    of the type:

    package {'SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 Common Files':
         ensure => installed,
         provider => windows,
         source => "C:\\puppet_temp\\${mssql_filename}",
         install_options => ['/quiet', '/IAcceptSQLServerLicenseTerms',
    '/allinstances'],
         require => Exec['run_mssql2008r2sp2_artifact_extract_ps1'],
    }

    From http://docs.puppetlabs.com/windows/writing.html:
    Identifying Packages

    The title or name of the package must match the value of the DisplayNameproperty in the registry, which is also the value displayed in Add/Remove
    Programs. Alternately, when a package name is not unique across versions
    (e.g. VMWare Tools, or where there are 32- and 64-bit versions with the
    same name), we provide the ability to specify the package’s PackageCode as
    the package name. This is a GUID that’s unique across all MSI builds. For
    instance:
    Also, what are the results from this PowerShell command:

    Get-WmiObject -class win32_product | Where-Object {$_.name.contains("SQL
    Server 2008")}

  • Josh Cooper at Jun 10, 2013 at 4:15 pm
    Hi Reginald,

[...]

    Try running `puppet resource package` and see if the package you tried to
    installed is in the output, and that it's name matches exactly with the
    `name` parameter above.

    Josh

    --
    Josh Cooper
    Developer, Puppet Labs

    *Join us at PuppetConf 2013, August 22-23 in San Francisco - *
    http://bit.ly/pupconf13*
    **Register now and take advantage of the Early Bird discount - save 25%!*

  • Reginald Choudari at Jun 12, 2013 at 7:51 pm
    Tried renaming the title of the resource to what the name attribute was set
    to; no go.

    After doing a 'puppet resource package' on the agent, I see a list of
    packages but the package listed here is not shown ... I confirmed that it
    is still showing 'ensure: created' in the event logs every puppet run.

    Thanks
[...]

  • Josh Cooper at Jun 12, 2013 at 9:23 pm

    Tried renaming the title of the resource to what the name attribute was
    set to; no go.

    After doing a 'puppet resource package' on the agent, I see a list of
    packages but the package listed here is not shown ... I confirmed that it
    is still showing 'ensure: created' in the event logs every puppet run.

    Thanks

    Can you export the Uninstall registry key for that package? I want to see
    what the SystemComponent, etc values are.

[...]

  • Reginald Choudari at Jun 13, 2013 at 3:54 pm

[...]

  • Josh Cooper at Jun 15, 2013 at 5:48 am
[...]

    .

    Josh

    --
    Josh Cooper
    Developer, Puppet Labs

    *Join us at PuppetConf 2013, August 22-23 in San Francisco - *
    http://bit.ly/pupconf13*
    **Register now and take advantage of the Early Bird discount - save 25%!*
    .

    Unfortunately, Windows does not have an API for retrieving installed
    packages. So we scan the registry and apply heuristics to determine which
    packages to report on.

    The overall goal has been for Puppet to report on the same set of packages
    that you see in Add/Remove Programs. Packages whose registry
    value SystemComponent=1 are hidden from ARP, so Puppet does the same, see
    https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet/blob/master/lib/puppet/provider/package/windows/exe_package.rb#L34

    Since Puppet never reports on SystemComponents, it will always think they
    are absent, and need to be installed each time it runs.

    I'm thinking Puppet should not exclude SystemComponents? Are there any bad
    side effects if we included them?

    Josh

    --
    Josh Cooper
    Developer, Puppet Labs

    *Join us at PuppetConf 2013, August 22-23 in San Francisco - *
    http://bit.ly/pupconf13*
    **Register now and take advantage of the Early Bird discount - save 25%!*

  • Adnan Chowdhury at Jun 17, 2013 at 6:53 pm
    I don't foresee any bad side-effects.

    *

[...]

  • Josh Cooper at Jun 24, 2013 at 4:47 pm

    Filed as https://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/21415

    --
    Josh Cooper
    Developer, Puppet Labs

    *Join us at PuppetConf 2013, August 22-23 in San Francisco - *
    http://bit.ly/pupconf13*
    **Register now and take advantage of the Early Bird discount - save 25%!*

  • Kevin D at Jun 17, 2013 at 7:05 pm
    Josh,

    You mentioned:
    Unfortunately, Windows does not have an API for retrieving installed
    packages.
    Does this include the WMI class Win32_Product<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa394378%28v=vs.85%29.aspx>?
    Win32_product provides a limited set of information about all products
    installed using MSI/Windows Installer. Although Windows Installer is a
    standard, not all compiled installers use this method.

    -Kev

  • Josh Cooper at Jun 17, 2013 at 8:37 pm

    Unfortunately, Windows does not have an API for retrieving installed
    packages.
    Does this include the WMI class Win32_Product<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa394378%28v=vs.85%29.aspx>?
    Win32_product provides a limited set of information about all products
    installed using MSI/Windows Installer. Although Windows Installer is a
    standard, not all compiled installers use this method.

    -Kev

    Win32_Product has issues. Simply enumerating the set of installed packages
    will cause a consistency check to be performed on all packages:

    http://sdmsoftware.com/group-policy-blog/wmi/why-win32_product-is-bad-news/
    http://gregramsey.net/2012/02/20/win32_product-is-evil/
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/974524

    Josh

    --
    Josh Cooper
    Developer, Puppet Labs

    *Join us at PuppetConf 2013, August 22-23 in San Francisco - *
    http://bit.ly/pupconf13*
    **Register now and take advantage of the Early Bird discount - save 25%!*

  • Kevin D at Jun 13, 2013 at 2:58 pm
    Can you also provide the output from this powershell command:

    Get-WmiObject -class win32_product | Where-Object {$_.name.contains("SQL
    Server 2008")}

    If a record for the installer isn't in the registry location
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall" or
    the WMI Win32_Product class, the package may not have installed properly.
    Can you install the package manually and get these values?

  • Reginald Choudari at Jun 13, 2013 at 3:48 pm
    Kevin,

    My apologies, I failed to mention that the record for the installer was
    outputted from the powershell command.

    Thanks,
    Reginald
    Can you also provide the output from this powershell command:

    Get-WmiObject -class win32_product | Where-Object {$_.name.contains("SQL
    Server 2008")}

    If a record for the installer isn't in the registry location
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall" or
    the WMI Win32_Product class, the package may not have installed properly.
    Can you install the package manually and get these values?
  • Kevin D at Jun 13, 2013 at 3:51 pm
    I don't think that I understand.

    Can you please provide the output?

  • Reginald Choudari at Jun 13, 2013 at 3:53 pm
    IdentifyingNumber : {FC835376-FF3B-4CAA-83E0-2148B3FB7C98}
    Name : SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 Common Files
    Vendor : Microsoft Corporation
    Version : 10.52.4000.0
    Caption : SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 Common Files