My environment: Ubuntu LTS 12.04, carbon
(https://github.com/graphite-project/carbon) 0.9.9 installed using "pip".

I just learned why when I run "pip freeze" on a system I don't see the
"carbon" package even when it installed successfully - I should run it with
"PYTHONPATH=/opt/graphite/lib/ pip freeze".
(ref: https://github.com/graphite-project/carbon/issues/86)

This causes Puppet to re-install the package on every run (and reload
dependant servers), even though it's already installed and there is nothing
that really needs to be done.

I guess this is the package's fault, but it made me hit once more a
limitation in Puppet i.e. that I don't have a way to pass options or
environment variables to "pip".

Apparently there are already a couple of issues and pull requests for this
in https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet/pull/1507
and https://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/18029, but they don't seem
likely to be accepted.

Alternatively - can anyone point me to how they solved the carbon package
(or a similar) issue? i.e. that it doesn't get re-installed on every Puppet
run?

Thanks,

--Amos

  • Ben Whaley at Jun 6, 2013 at 1:40 pm
    Yep, I ran in to this as well, both with carbon and graphite-web. I solved
    it by adding the Python metadata in the appropriate location on my system.

    Check this gist for the code
    https://gist.github.com/bwhaley/5721421

    Hope this helps.

    - Ben
[...]

  • Amos Shapira at Jun 6, 2013 at 10:32 pm
    Thanks.

    This is similar to a solution suggested
    in https://github.com/graphite-project/carbon/issues/86#issuecomment-16200739
    (there he adds a symlink instead of providing a copy).
    What I don't like about these (practical) solutions is that they are
    fragile - either the symlink target could change (newer version, for
    instance) or the content of the copied file could change (and the change
    could be lost).

    In the meantime I'm exploring a different direction - there are .deb
    packages for the version I want in later versions of Ubuntu than 12.04.
    They install cleanly on 12.04 (I assume this is because they are pure
    Python) and even if they didn't, I could rebuild them for 12.04 from
    source-deb. I intend to make them available on our internal repository and
    install them with the "apt" provider instead.

    Cheers,

    --Amos
[...]

  • Nikola Petrov at Jun 11, 2013 at 9:20 am
    I also have some packages that were produced with fpm. Here is the
    script that I am using - https://gist.github.com/nikolavp/5755563 which
    was borrowed from a blog post I found on the net. You can of course
    change the versions if you want.

    Feel free to add dependency metadata to fpm when building the packages
    and please comment on the gist if you end up with something useful ;)

    --
    Nikola