Hi all,
I have started with puppet recently and the intention is to manage network
devices, for now I'm working with a switch (cisco catalyst 2950) and trying
to configure ports.

I installed puppet following the installation guide on puppetlabs.com

OS: CentOS 6
Services running: puppetmaster & puppet
Puppet version: 3.2.1

When I execute "puppet device -v" I have the following output

# puppet device -v
Info: starting applying configuration to switch1 at
telnet://root:password@192.168.33.93/
Info: Retrieving plugin
Info: Caching catalog for switch1
Info: Applying configuration version '1370281505'
Error: Could not prefetch interface provider 'cisco': Unknown switchport
mode: dynamic desirable for FastEthernet0/1
Notice: /Stage[main]//Node[switch1]/Interface[Fa0/1]/description: defined
'description' as 'Hello Switch'
Error: /Stage[main]//Node[switch1]/Interface[Fa0/1]: Could not evaluate:
undefined method `command' for #<Puppet::Type::Interface:0x7fc7cc1b7e48>
Notice: Finished catalog run in 12.81 seconds

-----------
Content of device.conf:

[switch1]
   type cisco
   url telnet://root:password@192.168.33.93/

-----------
Content of site.pp:

#import "templates"
import "node"

------------
Content of node.pp

node "switch1"{
   interface {
       "Fa0/1":
         description => "Hello Switch"

-------------

I can telnet the switch at that IP directly from the terminal and able to
change configuration.

Is there anything else which needs to be configured? or am I doing
something wrong?
Please help me out, stuck with this error from 2 days.

I appreciate your time and help

Thanks,
Vatsa

  • Srivatsa rao at Jun 4, 2013 at 9:36 pm
    I found out that the interfaces which is being configured should be in
    "switchport mode access" which has to be done manually (by login to switch)
    as of now.
    It would have been great if puppet could do this too (atleast I'm not aware
    of this).

    Vatsa