I would like to run the File resource below:

         file { 'autoconfig.php':
                 path =>
'/var/www/owncloud/config/autoconfig.php',
                 ensure => file,
                 owner => 'www-data',
                 group => 'www-data',
                 content => template("owncloud/autoconfig.php.erb"),
         }

only when a specific file (in my case: /var/www/owncloud/config/config.php)
is missing. Is this somehow possible? Couldn't find my case in the puppet
documentation...

Thanks!
John

  • Dan White at May 30, 2013 at 9:26 pm
    Short Answer: You need to create a custom fact that would drive the decision to create the new file resource.

    I just went thru this issue and also performing an action based on whether or not a package (RPM in my case) is installed.

    Same answer to both.

    For the existence of a file, you can do this:

    #!/bin/bash
    test -f /var/www/owncloud/config/config.php
    rc=$?
    echo "is_my_file_there=${rc}"

    That goes into /etc/facter/facts.d/ as an executable shell script and then in your manifest:

    if $::is_my_file_there != 0 {
        file { 'autoconfig.php':

    Bill Waterson (Calvin & Hobbes)

    I would like to run the File resource below:

    file { 'autoconfig.php':
    path => '/var/www/owncloud/config/autoconfig.php',
    ensure => file,
    owner => 'www-data',
    group => 'www-data',
    content => template("owncloud/autoconfig.php.erb"),
    }

    only when a specific file (in my case: /var/www/owncloud/config/config.php) is missing. Is this somehow possible? Couldn't find my case in the puppet documentation...

    Thanks!
    John

  • Matthias Saou at May 31, 2013 at 8:00 am
    There are other ways. None are nice and clean, but a custom fact just
    for this seems overkill.

    Here's a quick example of how I've implemented creating a default
    ~/.gitconfig for users if it doesn't exist, but not modify it if it's
    already there or has been modified.

         $gitconfig_user_name = $mymodule::uservar::fullname[$title]
         $gitconfig_user_email = "${title}@example.com"
         file { "${home}/.gitconfig":
           owner => $owner,
           group => $group,
           mode => '0644',
           require => Exec["create-gitconfig-${title}"],
         }
         exec { "create-gitconfig-${title}":
           command => template('mymodule/user/gitconfig.erb'),
           require => User[$title],
           creates => "${home}/.gitconfig",
         }

    The gitconfig.erb has the following content :
    /bin/cat > <%= home %>/.gitconfig << EOF
    [user]
      name = <%= @gitconfig_user_name %>
      email = <%= @gitconfig_user_email %>
    EOF

    Basically, just don't have either 'source' nor 'content' for your file
    resource, and create the initial content using an exec with the
    'creates' condition.

    Matthias

    Dan White wrote:
    Short Answer: You need to create a custom fact that would drive the
    decision to create the new file resource.

    I just went thru this issue and also performing an action based on
    whether or not a package (RPM in my case) is installed.

    Same answer to both.

    For the existence of a file, you can do this:

    #!/bin/bash
    test -f /var/www/owncloud/config/config.php
    rc=$?
    echo "is_my_file_there=${rc}"

    That goes into /etc/facter/facts.d/ as an executable shell script and
    then in your manifest:

    if $::is_my_file_there != 0 {
    file { 'autoconfig.php':

    “Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists
    elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact
    us.” Bill Waterson (Calvin & Hobbes)

    I would like to run the File resource below:

    file { 'autoconfig.php':
    path => '/var/www/owncloud/config/autoconfig.php',
    ensure => file,
    owner => 'www-data',
    group => 'www-data',
    content => template("owncloud/autoconfig.php.erb"),
    }

    only when a specific file (in my
    case: /var/www/owncloud/config/config.php) is missing. Is this
    somehow possible? Couldn't find my case in the puppet
    documentation...

    Thanks!
    John
  • Dan White at May 31, 2013 at 12:36 pm
    That is an excellent example, but I think you miss the original point:

    Your example deals with only one file resource - the dot-gitconfig file
    Suppose you only wanted to perform this action if git was installed on the system, and do nothing if it was not ?

    This additional requirement puts it closer to the original question and this is where a custom fact is called for in the opinion of several folks on the list including myself.

    If you can offer an example that demonstrates otherwise, I would welcome it.
    I do not believe it possible without the custom fact and I have several hours of frustrated tinkering to show for it. I wanted to set a parameter in a config file but only if (the config file exists and/or the associated package is installed) and found I could not do it completely from within the manifest.

    Bill Waterson (Calvin & Hobbes)

    I would like to run the File resource below:

    file { 'autoconfig.php':
    path => '/var/www/owncloud/config/autoconfig.php',
    ensure => file,
    owner => 'www-data',
    group => 'www-data',
    content => template("owncloud/autoconfig.php.erb"),
    }

    only when a specific file (in my
    case: /var/www/owncloud/config/config.php) is missing. Is this
    somehow possible? Couldn't find my case in the puppet
    documentation...

    Thanks!
    John

  • Matthias Saou at May 31, 2013 at 12:58 pm
    Hi,

    Indeed, I had missed that John was mentioning two different files
    ("config.php" vs. "autoconfig.php"). In that case, my only bit of
    (useless) advice is : You're not using puppet in the way it's most
    efficient, as it's not meant to manage nodes based on changes it
    doesn't make itself.

    Custom fact, it is...

    Matthias

    Dan White wrote:
[...]

  • John Naggets at May 31, 2013 at 4:01 pm
    Thanks guys for your input. That's correct I am looking to act upon another
    file's nonexistence... I will go with facter.

    $gitconfig_user_email = "${tit...@example.com <javascript:>"
[...]

  • Joe at May 31, 2013 at 9:24 pm
    You should really reconsider how you are going about things and organizing
    your resources if you have to do stuff like this.

    Puppet was never meant to be reactionary in this sense. It's entire purpose
    is to define the state of the system and enforce that state, not to respond
    to the state of the system conditionally.

    Dan White wrote:
[...]

  • Nan Liu at May 31, 2013 at 2:53 pm

    There are other ways. None are nice and clean, but a custom fact just
    for this seems overkill.

    Here's a quick example of how I've implemented creating a default
    ~/.gitconfig for users if it doesn't exist, but not modify it if it's
    already there or has been modified.

    $gitconfig_user_name = $mymodule::uservar::fullname[$title]
    $gitconfig_user_email = "${title}@example.com"
    file { "${home}/.gitconfig":
    owner => $owner,
    group => $group,
    mode => '0644',
    require => Exec["create-gitconfig-${title}"],
    }
    exec { "create-gitconfig-${title}":
    command => template('mymodule/user/gitconfig.erb'),
    require => User[$title],
    creates => "${home}/.gitconfig",
    }
    A bit off topic, but you should use file attribute replace => false instead
    of an exec.

    Nan

  • Matthias Saou at Jun 3, 2013 at 9:44 am