I am looking to use hiera in my environment but I cannot get past one
thing. In our current puppet code we have some case statements based on
environments. The case statements are like the following...

'production' { do this }
/^aw/ { do this } # this is for all AWS stuff
'aws' { do this } # this is the production like environment of AWS
otherenv { do this }
default { do this } # other server that default here

I would like hiera to do the following order, hostname, environment,
common. I would also like to create one YAML file for all the AW* fîles
rather than create one for awtest, awsandbox, awetc. Is there a way to do
this in hiera that I am missing? Or will I need to re work some logic in
my puppet code?

solely for the addressee. If you received this email in error, please do
not disclose the contents to anyone; kindly notify the sender by return
email and delete this email and any attachments from your system.

© 2011 Currensee Inc. is a member of the National Futures Association (NFA)
Member ID 0403251 | Over the counter retail foreign currency (Forex)
trading may involve significant risk of loss. It is not suitable for all
investors and you should make sure you understand the risks involved before
trading and seek independent advice if necessary. Performance, strategies
and charts shown are not necessarily predictive of any particular result
and past performance is no indication of future results. Investor returns
may vary from Trade Leader returns based on slippage, fees, broker spreads,
volatility or other market conditions.

Currensee Inc | 54 Canal St 4th Floor | Boston, MA 02114 | +1.617.624.3824

  • Ellison Marks at May 30, 2013 at 6:47 pm
    I don't think there's a wildcard match functionality for hiera like that.
    If you interpolate the environment variable in you hierarchy, it will try
    to match the result exactly.

    On the other hand, if all of you "aw*" environments need the same data, I'm
    inclined to ask what they're doing in different environments?
[...]

  • Alex Farhadi at May 30, 2013 at 7:30 pm
    So right now we use environment to both control specialized parameters
    related to different networks such as LDAP server, DNS servers, and other
    things that are related to the environment variable. We also use unique
    environment names to setup different instances of our application. For
    example, the environment sandbox, will create a version of our application
    that is configured as in app-sandbox, sprint will create an environment
    that is like app-sprint. (there are more configurations that this takes
    care of beyond the naming), AWSandbox will create one related to AWSandbox.

    ENVS
    sandbox, sprint, qaprod = office network
    awsprint, awsandbox, awqaprod = AWS env
    production = production network

    Part of the original thinking of puppet design was to only handle the
    setups of these unique instances of our application (as we had multiple
    puppet servers per environment BLAH ), the network environment based cases
    which set LDAP servers and other settings came after.

    So in reality, I have three main environments: office, aws, and production
    and I need multiple sub environments per environment due to application
    module we wrote. Makes me want to do some re-writing of our application''s
    puppet module or maybe at least set another parameter within the host
    called like 'appEnv' or something.

[...]

    intended solely for the addressee. If you received this email in error,