Hello all,

I am developing a few custom providers for some features that I need into
my system (such as dealing with different zipped files or generating some
JSON data based on OS files) and I have hit into a question about "how to
do this for multiple OS?"

Lets focus into the zipped file provider that should provide a common
method to pack or unpack zipped files (tar, tar.gz, rar, zip or any) backed
on OS tools or native ruby methods. Maybe the ruby approach would be the
most portable one but I will keep that approach aside right now. We end up
with 3 providers for the custom type 'zipfile': zip, rar and tar.

Those providers may share code but they differ on how to delegate its
functionality to third-party apps (7zip on windows and zip/unzip on linux
as an example). How can I deal with that? Can I clone the provider into
different files such as zip-windows.rb and zip-linux.rb, keep the same
header and use the confine method? Is there any filename -> provider
restriction? Is that the correct approach?

I have been searching through other core providers like file but I can not
find my answer...

Thanks

  • Trevor Vaughan at May 29, 2013 at 2:09 pm
    David,

    You'll need to use confine statements to set the suitability of a
    particular provider to the OS.

    See:
    http://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/1/wiki/Development_Provider_Developmentunder
    'Suitability'.

    The new Types and Providers book covers this reasonably well also.

    Finally, take a look at the 'group' provider in the Puppet core code to see
    how they go between Windows and other OS's.

    Good Luck!

    Trevor

[...]

    Vice President, Onyx Point, Inc
    (410) 541-6699
    tvaughan@onyxpoint.com

  • David Campos at May 30, 2013 at 10:58 am
    Hello Trevor,

    Thanks for the reply. I did knew that I should use confine statement to
    reach that goal but I did not know whether I did need a new provider for
    each OS or if I can share it.

    Sample:

    File rar-windows.rb
    Puppet::Type.type(:zipfile).provide(:rar, ...)

    confine :operatingsystem => :windows

    File rar-unix.rb
    Puppet::Type.type(:zipfile).provide(:rar, ...)

    confine :operatingsystem => :linux

    If puppet allows the same provider to be defined twice or more times this
    would work and would be perfect because I could select provider => zip and
    forget about OS.

    Sample2

    File rar-windows.rb
    Puppet::Type.type(:zipfile).provide(:rar-windows, ...)

    confine :operatingsystem => :windows

    File rar-unix.rb
    Puppet::Type.type(:zipfile).provide(:rar-unix, ...)

    confine :operatingsystem => :linux

    If the first sample does not work, this would mean that I have to select
    the provider with puppet selectors before sending the parameter into the
    resource.

    On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 5:40 AM, David Campos <noymn.the...@gmail.com<javascript:>
[...]

    tvau...@onyxpoint.com <javascript:>

  • Trevor Vaughan at May 30, 2013 at 1:34 pm
    Looking at the 'host' provider from puppet, it looks like, to use a single
    provider, you'll need to both confine it and to use the :operatingsystem
    fact to create a case statement inside the provider.

    So, yes, you can do what you want but not exactly in the most obvious
    fashion.

    Something like the following should work (untested):

    Puppet::Type.type(:unpack).provide(:zip) do
       case Facter.value(:operatingsystem)
         when "windows"
            ...do windows stuff...
         when "Solaris"
           ...do solaris stuff...
         else
           ....do linux stuff....
       end
    end

    Another way of possibly doing this would be to munge the provider name
    before calling your provider.

    You would use your example #2 above and then use the :operatingsystem fact
    to change the provider name. This may be a code smell/horrible practice but
    it *should* work (haven't tested this either).

    Something like:

    newparam(:provider) do
       munge do |value|
         "#{Facter.value(:operatingsystem)}_#{self[:provider]}"
       end
    end

    If that doesn't work, you might have to hack it into the type initialize
    define.

    Something like:

    def initialize(args)
       super

       self[:provider] = "#{Facter.value(:operatingsystem)}_#{self[:provider]}"
    end

    Development_Provider_**Development<http://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/1/wiki/Development_Provider_Development>under 'Suitability'.

[...]

    Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/**group/puppet-users?hl=en<http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en>
    .
    .

    --
    Trevor Vaughan
    Vice President, Onyx Point, Inc
    (410) 541-6699
    tvau...@onyxpoint.com

    Trevor Vaughan
    Vice President, Onyx Point, Inc
    (410) 541-6699
    tvaughan@onyxpoint.com

  • Trevor Vaughan at May 30, 2013 at 2:25 pm
    Looking through some additional code that does similar things, I'm fairly
    certain that the first method will work but I'm not sure if my follow on
    suggestions will.

    The 'package' and 'user' types use alternative providers but they do some
    interesting things with manipulating the provider directly so I'm not
    exactly sure how you would make this elegant.

    That said, you might also be able to do this with features in your type and
    later provider confinement.

    Sorry to be so all over the place, I haven't done anything *exactly* like
    this and the existing providers don't seem to either.

    Hopefully, one of the Puppet Labs folks will hop on and help out with a
    working example.

    Trevor

[...]

  • David Campos at Jun 3, 2013 at 9:21 am
    Thanks for your ideas Trevor,

    Looking at the current types and providers I could see some different ways
    to do the same so I will give them a look during this week. As soon as I
    have a working solution I will give feedback for others to work with.

    Regards,

    On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 9:34 AM, Trevor Vaughan <tvau...@onyxpoint.com<javascript:>

    On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 6:58 AM, David Campos <noymn.the...@gmail.com<javascript:>