I am currently evaluating Puppet and have some questions:

    - How do we (or can we) trigger software installs using the REST API?
    - How can we (can we at all) use the REST API to list what software is
    available to install?
    - Can a client browse the Puppet repository using a REST API, and
    trigger an install using the APIs?
    - As the SysAdmin, can I use those REST APIs to install/maintain new
    software on the Puppet Server?
    - Can you direct me to clean documentation and directions needed for
    this application?
    - Direct me to some Java samples using the REST API to accomplish the
    functionality requested above.

Thanks very much for any assistance you can provide.

Barry Dresdner

--

*Global InfoTek, Inc. (GITI) PROPRIETARY DATA NOTICE* - This electronic
message and any files transmitted with it contain confidential and

  • Windowsrefund at May 28, 2013 at 9:10 pm
    I suggest taking a few hours/days to go through the existing documentation.

  • Barry D at May 28, 2013 at 10:29 pm
    Already tried. It wasn't very helpful with the info I'm seeking.

    I suggest taking a few hours/days to go through the existing documentation.
    --

    *Global InfoTek, Inc. (GITI) PROPRIETARY DATA NOTICE* - This electronic
    message and any files transmitted with it contain confidential and
    proprietary information, and are intended for use only by the person(s) to
    whom it is addressed. Any use, distribution, copying or disclosure to any
    other person is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in
    error, please notify the e-mail sender immediately, and delete the original
    message without making a copy.

  • Dan White at May 28, 2013 at 11:35 pm

    I am currently evaluating Puppet and have some questions:
    • How do we (or can we) trigger software installs using the REST API?
    • How can we (can we at all) use the REST API to list what software is available to install?
    • Can a client browse the Puppet repository using a REST API, and trigger an install using the APIs?
    • As the SysAdmin, can I use those REST APIs to install/maintain new software on the Puppet Server?
    • Can you direct me to clean documentation and directions needed for this application?
    • Direct me to some Java samples using the REST API to accomplish the functionality requested above.
    Thanks very much for any assistance you can provide.

    Barry Dresdner
    I think you have unrealistic expectations of what Puppet and/or the Puppet REST API is capable of.

    What operating system are you using ?

    What sort of software packages are you looking to install/maintain ?

  • Barry D at May 29, 2013 at 12:01 am
    Mainly Linux, but other OSs are fine.
    I will need to install VMs. Then uninstall them later.
[...]

  • Dan White at May 29, 2013 at 12:16 am
    Try: Google [ puppet vmware ]

    https://puppetlabs.com/solutions/vmware/
    http://docs.puppetlabs.com/pe/2.0/cloudprovisioner_vmware.html
    https://puppetlabs.com/blog/introducing-the-latest-vmware-and-puppet-labs-integration/
    https://puppetlabs.com/blog/featured-forge-module-craig-watsons-vmware-tools/
    https://puppetlabs.com/blog/why-you-want-to-start-using-puppet-enterprise-with-vmware-today/
    https://puppetlabs.com/blog/manage-and-automate-vmware-virtual-environments-with-puppet-enterprise/
[...]

  • Barry D at May 29, 2013 at 1:20 am
    Thanks! I'll take a look at this.
[...]

  • David Rolston at May 29, 2013 at 12:34 am
    Have you taken a look at http://www.vagrantup.com/

[...]

  • Barry D at May 29, 2013 at 1:22 am
    This looks promising. Is this the only way to install VMs using Puppet?
    Thanks
[...]

  • David Rolston at May 29, 2013 at 1:49 am
    Typical puppet use is to write manifests. Manifests can easily install
    packages using the package manager of your choice, update configuration
    files, start services, run scripts, etc.. so there is probably a way to do
    what you want, however, I've never tried to do this using the REST api.

    Furthermore, Puppet really isn't a procedural system. When I first set out
    on the road of deciding which way to go, I read any number of opinions
    about my options, and primarily looked at Chef vs Puppet. I'm quite happy
    with what we've been able to achieve with Puppet, but there are
    alternatives that are purported to be far more procedural in nature, like
    Chef or perhaps salt stack.

    In a way, we are utilizing vm's in that our cluster is deployed through
    aws. Our strategy is to create AMI's for each machine type we need, that
    has the majority of the configuration taken care of. We use some scripts
    that utilize the AWS rest api to start up the servers, setup dns, and
    position the machine where it is needed, and we use puppet to do the rest
    of the setup.

    It seems to me that you are looking for something similar, and this is
    where in my opinion, you are expecting puppet to do something it's not
    designed for... which is getting a machine started with enough
    type/identity for it to run. If these are vm's running on a server, then
    between xen/vmware/virtualbox/whatever your host os is, there are ways to
    start vm's up with enough identity, that a tool like puppet could get you
    the rest of the way. Vagrant is a tool that could be used as that glue
    that handles what the aws instance API + AMI's provides.

[...]

    Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/**group/puppet-users?hl=en<http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en>
    .
    .

    *Global InfoTek, Inc. (GITI) PROPRIETARY DATA NOTICE* - This electronic
    message and any files transmitted with it contain confidential and
    proprietary information, and are intended for use only by the person(s) to
    whom it is addressed. Any use, distribution, copying or disclosure to any
    other person is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in
    error, please notify the e-mail sender immediately, and delete the original
    message without making a copy.

  • Barry D at May 29, 2013 at 2:03 am
    Thanks David for the detailed response. This helps a lot. I'll take a
    step back to regroup and look at Vagrant and see if I need to put into
    better words exactly what it is I'm trying to accomplish.
    Best regards - Barry

    On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 6:22 PM, Barry D <bdre...@globalinfotek.com<javascript:>