First off, I was under the impression from what I have been able to find
about the future parser that old manifests should remain working. If there
are backwards incompatibilities I missed, then please ignore this (and
point me to where they are mentioned, please).

I have reduced my problem to a very simple and basic setup.

If I leave out the line "parser=future" from my [main] section in
puppet.conf on my master (hostname 'dua'), the following setup works:

in nodes/dua.pp
-----
node 'dua' inherits 'sistemdasar' {}
----

in nodes/sistemdasar.pp
----
node 'sistemdasar' {
     package { 'screen':
         ensure => latest,
----

And in my debug output I also see that screen is checked to be the latest
version.

When I insert the line "parser=future" in my [main] section in puppet.conf
and change nothing else, I get the following error when running 'puppet
agent --test':

Error: Could not retrieve catalog from remote server: Error 400 on SERVER:
Could not find parent resource type '"sistemdasar"' of type node in
production at /etc/puppet/manifests/nodes/dua.pp:1 on node dua

Is this a bug? Wrong expectations? Deprecated syntax (I'm coming back to
puppet after a very long time, and those manifests above are an adaptation
of quite old stuff I had)?

Thijs

  • Nikolay Georgieff at Aug 24, 2013 at 6:46 am
    I have the same issue but if I use "puppet apply --parser future" it works.