Hello,

i'm starting using Puppet on my personal lab. There I'd like to reproduce a
multi base tomcat installation as follows:

* Multiple jdk installations (multiple 1.6.x, multiple 1.7.x)
* Multiple tomcat installations (multiple 6.0.x, multiple 7.0.x)

Here is the problem:
using the Package definition, i'm unable to have multiple jdk version (as
1.6.4 supersedes 1.6.3, leaving only the last one installed correctly), so
I created a custom define that uses a File definition to copy multiple
directories (/opt/java/jdk-$version) from my puppetmaster (recurse + purge)
and used this as follows:

tomcat::home { "6.0.37": version => "6.0.37"}
jdk::home { "1.6.24": version => "1.6.24"}

but i'm unable to create a simple check on my tomcat istances like a
require tomcat-6.0.37.

How can i accomplish what i need?

Thanks in advance.

Luca Gervasi

  • Keith Burdis at May 19, 2013 at 11:56 am
    Two options come to mind:

    1) Install the JDK and Tomcat products from tarball into separate
    directories for each version which is what I do with
    erwbgy/sunjdk<http://forge.puppetlabs.com/erwbgy/sunjdk>
      and erwbgy/tomcat <http://forge.puppetlabs.com/erwbgy/tomcat>

    2) Create custom packages for each of the product versions installing the
    files into separate directories - for example using
    fpm<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/puppet-users/3phnJuKctdQ/RfAL3pd4NxIJ>
    .

       - Keith

[...]

  • Nikola Petrov at May 20, 2013 at 1:34 pm
    You should really build packages of java/tomcat with fpm. It will save
    you so much time and hassle in the end. Want different versions of the
    same package you just have to name them with the package version - no
    problem.

    Let's assume that extract the java distribution in a directory named
    java-$(VERSION), just run the following:

    fpm -s dir -t deb -n java-$(VERSION) -v $(VERSION) -a x86_64 --prefix /opt --provides java-runtime,java2-runtime,java5-runtime,java6-runtime,java7-runtime,java7-runtime-headless java-$(VERSION)

    and you should be good to go. Change this as needed(like architecture,
    deb/rpm prefix and the provides)

    --
    Nikola

[...]

  • Joe at May 20, 2013 at 11:32 pm
    Please heed the advice of others concerning packaging.

    As to your require question, you can require a defined type just like any
    other resource:

    require => Tomcat::Home['6.0.37']