Was wondering if someone has implemented the management of multiple MySQL
instances using puppet on the same server? Essentially we want to use the
same MySQL binaries but implement multiple distinct MySQL instances
connecting via a specific port number. Puppet Forge has a great MySQL
implementation including databases, users and permissions but it doesn't
seem to allow for managing multiple instances.

  • Dan White at May 17, 2013 at 2:29 pm
    Should be easy to do, just no one has yet to share their module code.

    This would require customizing both the configuration and the puppet-service implementation.

    I have done this (not with puppet) on Red Hat/CentOS type systems by making duplicate startup scripts in /etc/init.d :

    /etc/init.d/mysql-instance1
    /etc/init.d/mysql-instance2
    ... etc.

    And even had multiple versions by using customized source builds installed into parallel locations :

    /usr/local/mysql-5.0.xx/...
    /usr/local/mysql-5.5.xx/...
    ... etc.

    HTH

    Bill Waterson (Calvin & Hobbes)

    Was wondering if someone has implemented the management of multiple MySQL instances using puppet on the same server? Essentially we want to use the same MySQL binaries but implement multiple distinct MySQL instances connecting via a specific port number. Puppet Forge has a great MySQL implementation including databases, users and permissions but it doesn't seem to allow for managing multiple instances.

  • David Schmitt at May 17, 2013 at 2:30 pm