Hey Folks,

I am looking at using puppet to help manage/coordinate system integration
among several teams collaborating on an appliance product. This is a
little different than other environments where I've used puppet for
managing large numbers of systems. In the appliance case, we need to
build & manage only a single system so a puppetmaster becomes extra baggage
that is not really needed - what features will not work without one tho?
Will erb templates still work? Will modules also function without a
puppet master?

i'm wondering if anyone has already shared their experiences with the group
using puppet in this kind of mode. If so, please share and I will
summarize.

Thanks,

Vince

  • Nikola Petrov at May 18, 2013 at 11:45 am
    Hi,

    Using puppet in standalone mode with puppet apply from a cronjob will
    work without problems. The only thing that will be missing are exported
    resources. But you won't need those if this is a single machine.

    --
    Nikola
    I am looking at using puppet to help manage/coordinate system integration
    among several teams collaborating on an appliance product. This is a
    little different than other environments where I've used puppet for
    managing large numbers of systems. In the appliance case, we need to
    build & manage only a single system so a puppetmaster becomes extra baggage
    that is not really needed - what features will not work without one tho?
    Will erb templates still work? Will modules also function without a
    puppet master?

    i'm wondering if anyone has already shared their experiences with the group
    using puppet in this kind of mode. If so, please share and I will
    summarize.

    Thanks,

    Vince

  • Keith Burdis at May 19, 2013 at 11:48 am
    With PuppetDB >1.1 it is now possible to use exported resources when
    running puppet apply [1], though of course this still means having a
    central PuppetDB. This is not relevant for a single machine setup though,
    as you say.

       - Keith

    [1] http://docs.puppetlabs.com/puppetdb/1.3/connect_puppet_apply.html
[...]

  • Jcbollinger at May 20, 2013 at 12:59 pm