FAQ
Hello all,

we have been using puppet/hiera based configuration (puppet 3.1) . I have
the following config:

/etc/puppet/environments/env1/manifests/site.pp
node default {
         hiera_include ( "classes", [] )
}

in the common.yaml file:

classes:
   - class1
   - class2
   - class3

vmwaretools::version:
   8.6.10-913593
...
(some other data)
...

When I try to deploy it I get:

# puppet agent --test --server pmaster --environment env1
Info: Retrieving plugin
Info: Loading facts in /var/lib/puppet/lib/facter/root_home.rb
Info: Loading facts in /var/lib/puppet/lib/facter/concat_basedir.rb
Info: Loading facts in /var/lib/puppet/lib/facter/facter_dot_d.rb
Info: Loading facts in /var/lib/puppet/lib/facter/puppet_vardir.rb
Info: Loading facts in /var/lib/puppet/lib/facter/pe_version.rb
Error: Could not retrieve catalog from remote server: Error 400 on SERVER:
malformed format string - %S at
/etc/puppet/environments/env1/manifests/site.pp:2 on node node01
Warning: Not using cache on failed catalog
Error: Could not retrieve catalog; skipping run

Could you suggest how to debug such kind of errors ? Using hiera based
puppet it is more difficult to find where is the real problem.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to puppet-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to puppet-users@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Search Discussions

  • Denmat at May 14, 2013 at 1:43 pm
    What's on that line?
    On 14/05/2013, at 22:02, przemol wrote:

    etc/puppet/environments/env1/manifests/site.pp:2 on
    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to puppet-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    To post to this group, send email to puppet-users@googlegroups.com.
    Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
  • Przemol at May 14, 2013 at 1:59 pm
    I have included it in my first post:

    /etc/puppet/environments/env1/
    manifests/site.pp
    node default {
             hiera_include ( "classes", [] )
    }

    On Tuesday, May 14, 2013 2:45:02 PM UTC+1, denmat wrote:

    What's on that line?

    On 14/05/2013, at 22:02, przemol <p....@cmcmarkets.com <javascript:>>
    wrote:

    etc/puppet/environments/env1/manifests/site.pp:2 on
    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to puppet-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    To post to this group, send email to puppet-users@googlegroups.com.
    Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
  • Denmat at May 15, 2013 at 5:29 am
    Funny this should come up as I got the same error just today.

    Incorrect YAML file was the culprit. Error is non-descriptive though.

    This will help you find the file.
    for i in `find ./ -name *.yaml` ;do echo $i ; ruby -e "require 'yaml';
    YAML.parse(File.open('$i'))" ;done

    Cheers,
    Den



    On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 11:59 PM, przemol wrote:

    I have included it in my first post:

    /etc/puppet/environments/env1/
    **manifests/site.pp
    node default {
    hiera_include ( "classes", [] )
    }

    On Tuesday, May 14, 2013 2:45:02 PM UTC+1, denmat wrote:

    What's on that line?

    On 14/05/2013, at 22:02, przemol wrote:

    etc/puppet/environments/env1/**manifests/site.pp:2 on

    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
    "Puppet Users" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
    email to puppet-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    To post to this group, send email to puppet-users@googlegroups.com.
    Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to puppet-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    To post to this group, send email to puppet-users@googlegroups.com.
    Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
  • Przemol at May 15, 2013 at 10:17 am
    Hi Den,

    I suspected that it was because yaml file. Thank you for the one liner but
    is it possible to
    display which line in the yaml file is the problem ?
    On Wednesday, May 15, 2013 6:29:45 AM UTC+1, denmat wrote:

    Funny this should come up as I got the same error just today.

    Incorrect YAML file was the culprit. Error is non-descriptive though.

    This will help you find the file.
    for i in `find ./ -name *.yaml` ;do echo $i ; ruby -e "require 'yaml';
    YAML.parse(File.open('$i'))" ;done

    Cheers,
    Den




    On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 11:59 PM, przemol <p....@cmcmarkets.com<javascript:>
    wrote:
    I have included it in my first post:

    /etc/puppet/environments/env1/
    **manifests/site.pp
    node default {
    hiera_include ( "classes", [] )
    }

    On Tuesday, May 14, 2013 2:45:02 PM UTC+1, denmat wrote:

    What's on that line?

    On 14/05/2013, at 22:02, przemol wrote:

    etc/puppet/environments/env1/**manifests/site.pp:2 on

    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
    "Puppet Users" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
    email to puppet-users...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>.
    To post to this group, send email to puppet...@googlegroups.com<javascript:>
    .
    Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to puppet-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    To post to this group, send email to puppet-users@googlegroups.com.
    Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
  • Denmat at May 16, 2013 at 12:27 am
    for i in `find ./ -name *.yaml` ;do echo $i ; ruby -e "require 'yaml';
    YAML.parse(File.open('$i'))" ;done
    ./extdata/modules/apache.yaml
    /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/yaml.rb:176:in `load': syntax error on line 5, col 11: `'
    (ArgumentError)

    syntax error on line 5 is as far as the parser goes, the actual error might
    be above that line though, like an open " ' " or something.
    On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 8:16 PM, przemol wrote:

    Hi Den,

    I suspected that it was because yaml file. Thank you for the one liner but
    is it possible to
    display which line in the yaml file is the problem ?

    On Wednesday, May 15, 2013 6:29:45 AM UTC+1, denmat wrote:

    Funny this should come up as I got the same error just today.

    Incorrect YAML file was the culprit. Error is non-descriptive though.

    This will help you find the file.
    for i in `find ./ -name *.yaml` ;do echo $i ; ruby -e "require 'yaml';
    YAML.parse(File.open('$i'))" ;done

    Cheers,
    Den



    On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 11:59 PM, przemol wrote:

    I have included it in my first post:

    /etc/puppet/environments/env1/
    **manifests/site.pp
    node default {
    hiera_include ( "classes", [] )
    }

    On Tuesday, May 14, 2013 2:45:02 PM UTC+1, denmat wrote:

    What's on that line?

    On 14/05/2013, at 22:02, przemol wrote:

    etc/puppet/environments/env1/**m**anifests/site.pp:2 on

    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
    Groups "Puppet Users" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
    an email to puppet-users...@**googlegroups.com.
    To post to this group, send email to puppet...@googlegroups.com.

    Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/**group/puppet-users?hl=en<http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en>
    .
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/**groups/opt_out<https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out>
    .

    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
    "Puppet Users" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
    email to puppet-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    To post to this group, send email to puppet-users@googlegroups.com.
    Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to puppet-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    To post to this group, send email to puppet-users@googlegroups.com.
    Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
grouppuppet-users @
categoriespuppet
postedMay 14, '13 at 12:03p
activeMay 16, '13 at 12:27a
posts6
users2
websitepuppetlabs.com

2 users in discussion

Przemol: 3 posts Denmat: 3 posts

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase