Now, I'm using puppet managing system configurations, there are many
environment: production, staging, QA, DEV. The puppet server is only
accessible to production servers, but I also want to environments other
than production to use puppet, So my question is: is it possible to compile
puppet script to pure Ruby or other languages so as it can execute without
connecting to puppet master?

  • Denmat at May 14, 2013 at 11:50 am
    Hi,

    Compile to other languages? No.
    Compile to pure ruby? No.
    Use masterless? Yes.
    However, it is not the same as using the master - exported resources won't work, but things like hiera will still work.

    Google returns many write ups on the matter.

    Cheers,
    Den
    Now, I'm using puppet managing system configurations, there are many environment: production, staging, QA, DEV. The puppet server is only accessible to production servers, but I also want to environments other than production to use puppet, So my question is: is it possible to compile puppet script to pure Ruby or other languages so as it can execute without connecting to puppet master?
  • Keiran Sweet at May 14, 2013 at 2:09 pm
    Regarding Masterless Puppet, Sam Bashton spoke about his approach to
    Masterless Puppet at Puppetconf London a few months ago.

    You can see his slides here:
    http://www.slideshare.net/PuppetLabs/bashton-masterless-puppet

    Now, I'm using puppet managing system configurations, there are many
    environment: production, staging, QA, DEV. The puppet server is only
    accessible to production servers, but I also want to environments other
    than production to use puppet, So my question is: is it possible to compile
    puppet script to pure Ruby or other languages so as it can execute without
    connecting to puppet master?
  • 鸣飞 华 at May 17, 2013 at 7:51 am
    it's interesting, thanks a lot.

    On 5月14日, 下午10时09分, Keiran Sweet wrote:
    Regarding Masterless Puppet, Sam Bashton spoke about his approach to
    Masterless Puppet at Puppetconf London a few months ago.

    You can see his slides here:http://www.slideshare.net/PuppetLabs/bashton-masterless-puppet

    Now, I'm using puppet managing system configurations, there are many
    environment: production, staging, QA, DEV. The puppet server is only
    accessible to production servers, but I also want to environments other
    than production to use puppet, So my question is: is it possible to compile
    puppet script to pure Ruby or other languages so as it can execute without
    connecting to puppet master?
  • Hmf888888 at May 17, 2013 at 9:50 am
    masterless is an another good approach, but it prompt another issue, I
    don't want to QA guys see any sensitive configuration belong to production.
    to do masterless puppet, all modules should be copy to client which include
    some information exclusive to production.

    在 2013年5月14日星期二UTC+8上午11时28分04秒,hmf8...@gmail.com写道:
    Now, I'm using puppet managing system configurations, there are many
    environment: production, staging, QA, DEV. The puppet server is only
    accessible to production servers, but I also want to environments other
    than production to use puppet, So my question is: is it possible to compile
    puppet script to pure Ruby or other languages so as it can execute without
    connecting to puppet master?
  • Gavin Williams at May 17, 2013 at 1:54 pm
    My preference would be either to use the same master, maybe with some additional environments, or commission a master for the development environment...

    That way, you can be more confident that what works in dev will work in prod :-)

    Gav