We have hosts running 2.7 client, a single puppet master, and we're using
Puppet Dashboard for ENC.

What would be a recommended order of operations to get to 3.1 on
client/server, and using PuppetDB instead?

Thanks!

  • Dan White at May 8, 2013 at 4:03 pm
    Server first. Always

    Bill Waterson (Calvin & Hobbes)

    We have hosts running 2.7 client, a single puppet master, and we're using Puppet Dashboard for ENC.

    What would be a recommended order of operations to get to 3.1 on client/server, and using PuppetDB instead?

    Thanks!

  • William Van Hevelingen at May 12, 2013 at 7:26 am
    Hi Bruce,

    What we did was bring up a second puppetmaster with puppetdb and started
    testing clients against it. Generate a cert on the old puppetmaster and
    give it to the new one so that it is trusted by the clients. You will want
    to specify the ca_server on the new puppetmaster to be the old
    puppetmaster. There should be docs on how to do this. It is the same as
    setting up multiple puppetmasters.

    Then you can start testing clients against the new master with:

    puppet agent --test --server=newpuppetmaster.example.org

    This should allow you to start catching all the incompatibilities in your
    current puppet code. Once you feel comfortable you can start switching all
    of your clients over. Watch the puppetmaster logs or dashboard to make sure
    everything is working as expected if your doing large numbers of nodes at a
    time.

    After a few days or weeks of a puppet3 master start updating puppet and
    facter on your clients.

    You may wish to read this as well
    http://somethingsinistral.net/blog/the-angry-guide-to-puppet-3/

    The update went really smooth for us, just a few issues across our 80
    modules, good luck.

    Cheers,
    William Van Hevelingen
    https://github.com/blkperl/

    “Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere
    in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.”
    Bill Waterson (Calvin & Hobbes)

    ------------------------------
    We have hosts running 2.7 client, a single puppet master, and we're using
    Puppet Dashboard for ENC.

    What would be a recommended order of operations to get to 3.1 on
    client/server, and using PuppetDB instead?

    Thanks!

    William

  • Dan White at May 12, 2013 at 2:52 pm
    You might wish to include the "--noop" option while testing to prevent an unwanted change.

    Bill Waterson (Calvin & Hobbes)

    We have hosts running 2.7 client, a single puppet master, and we're using Puppet Dashboard for ENC.

    What would be a recommended order of operations to get to 3.1 on client/server, and using PuppetDB instead?

    Thanks!

    Thanks, William