I have just started to use Foreman 1.1. I have been using Puppet for a
while and have some custom modules and ones that have been dragged down
from git etc.

I am using nodes.pp in Puppet to assign classes and template entries to
hosts.

So is Foreman meant to eliminate my need for a nodes.pp? How do I manage my
erb templates in Puppet without a nodes.pp?

  • Ashley Penney at May 7, 2013 at 2:49 pm
    Foreman does replace nodes.pp. It acts as an 'ENC', the external node
    classifier. We'd need more details on what you're doing with templates in
    Puppet and nodes.pp to really answer this question. Are you thinking in
    terms of how you'd put variables into nodes directly with Foreman? There's
    space in the host page in Foreman for adding variables, under "Parameters"
    if you want to add them directly. A better approach to this is to look
    into Hiera, where you build a hierarchal data store that relies on various
    facts to provide the appropriate contents to variables to then consume in
    erb templates.

    Ideally you'd find ways to not have node specific information, but if you
    did need it you'd add $::fqdn to your hiera hierarchy and then add
    nodename.yaml files for each node where you listed out all the variables.
    This has the big benefit of remaining version controlled, unlike parameter
    entries in Foreman.

    As I said earlier, if you give some use cases we can probably explain this
    all a little better to you.

    Thanks,

    I have just started to use Foreman 1.1. I have been using Puppet for a
    while and have some custom modules and ones that have been dragged down
    from git etc.

    I am using nodes.pp in Puppet to assign classes and template entries to
    hosts.

    So is Foreman meant to eliminate my need for a nodes.pp? How do I manage
    my erb templates in Puppet without a nodes.pp?

  • Timo at May 9, 2013 at 8:28 am
    Thanks for the reply. You've answered my question.

    I'll post back if I need anymore help.