I an in the process of putting my Puppet Master configs into version
control using SVN. I'm concerned about file permission and ownership
changes as a result of this. SVN does not store permissions. How does one
safely use SVN with puppet configs?

Cheers,

Pete

  • Throwe, Jesse at May 5, 2013 at 12:25 pm
    You dont rely on your SCM to define ownership. That is explicitly defined
    in your puppet declaration. This way the file can be owned by anyone (or
    nobody) and its placed on the server with the proper mode and ownership.

    file { "/tmp/myfile":
    owner => 'user',
    group => 'user',
    mode => '0600',
    source => 'puppet:///module/mymodule/myfile',
    }

    I an in the process of putting my Puppet Master configs into version
    control using SVN. I'm concerned about file permission and ownership
    changes as a result of this. SVN does not store permissions. How does one
    safely use SVN with puppet configs?

    Cheers,

    Pete

  • Bernardo Costa at May 6, 2013 at 12:43 pm
    I suppose your concerns are about the check-outs of the svn repo on the
    puppet root direcctory, not about permissions and ownership inside the
    repo. Once you do svn co command as your user (not recommended), the new
    files will be created having being owned by you. It might fail if you user
    does not have permission tho create or modify these files inside the puppet
    tree source file. The best thing to do is run the svn co command as user
    puppet but you'll need to set its password or a sudo set of commands.