Dear list,

When I bootstrap a new EC2 instance from a base Ubuntu 12.04 LTS image I
use cloud-init to install the puppet-agent via apt, write a minimal
puppet.conf and start puppet. Ubuntu 12.04 comes with puppet 2.7.*, and I'd
like to upgrade to the 3.* version from Puppetlabs' apt repo before
starting the run that configure the machine into a specific role.

I'm having trouble figuring out how to add the repo and only upgrade the
puppet agent, before starting the actual run with the upgraded version 3
agent. I could use cloud-init to do this before puppet starts, but I'd like
to keep the bootstrapping as simple as possible and manage things via
Puppet.

This must be a common task, so how do you do it?

Thanks, Martijn

  • Hugh Cole-Baker at May 3, 2013 at 7:37 pm

    When I bootstrap a new EC2 instance from a base Ubuntu 12.04 LTS image I
    use cloud-init to install the puppet-agent via apt, write a minimal
    puppet.conf and start puppet. Ubuntu 12.04 comes with puppet 2.7.*, and I'd
    like to upgrade to the 3.* version from Puppetlabs' apt repo before
    starting the run that configure the machine into a specific role.

    I'm having trouble figuring out how to add the repo and only upgrade the
    puppet agent, before starting the actual run with the upgraded version 3
    agent. I could use cloud-init to do this before puppet starts, but I'd like
    to keep the bootstrapping as simple as possible and manage things via
    Puppet.

    This must be a common task, so how do you do it?

    Thanks, Martijn
    Why not add the following lines into your cloud-config file?

    apt_sources:
    - source: "deb http://apt.puppetlabs.com $RELEASE main"
    keyid: 4BD6EC30
    filename: puppetlabs.list
    packages:
    - puppet

    This is the config we use to install Puppet 3 at instance launch time.

  • Martijn at May 3, 2013 at 11:11 pm
[...]

    Not a bad idea. I was trying to keep the bootstrapping as basic as
    possible, but I suppose this will make things a lot easier.

    Do you subsequently overwrite the puppet config via Puppet, and any future
    puppet upgrades?

    Martijn