Reference: http://www.mail-archive.com/puppet-users@googlegroups.com/msg41278.html

Still having issues.

Even if I explicitly set confdir in the command line:

puppet agent --no-daemonize --onetime --test --noop --no-report --confdir=/etc/puppet

Manifests containing %{::settings::confdir} give me the value from the puppet-master even though the command

puppet config print confdir

on the agent returns /etc/puppet

I guess it boils does to how does one access settings on the local agent in the manifests ?

Bill Waterson (Calvin & Hobbes)

  • Denmat at May 2, 2013 at 10:31 pm
    Well that kinda makes sense for the top scope variable on the master to return like that. Your options would be like any other fact/var you want to query on the client, no?

    Den
    Even if I explicitly set confdir in the command line:

    puppet agent --no-daemonize --onetime --test --noop --no-report --confdir=/etc/puppet

    Manifests containing %{::settings::confdir} give me the value from the puppet-master even though the command

    puppet config print confdir

    on the agent returns /etc/puppet

    I guess it boils does to how does one access settings on the local agent in the manifests ?

    Bill Waterson (Calvin & Hobbes)

  • Dan White at May 3, 2013 at 1:00 am
    How do I do it ?

    I tried ...
    confdir
    ::confdir
    settings::confdir
    and
    ::settings::confdir
    Well that kinda makes sense for the top scope variable on the master to return like that. Your options would be like any other fact/var you want to query on the client, no?

    Den
    Even if I explicitly set confdir in the command line:

    puppet agent --no-daemonize --onetime --test --noop --no-report --confdir=/etc/puppet

    Manifests containing %{::settings::confdir} give me the value from the puppet-master even though the command

    puppet config print confdir

    on the agent returns /etc/puppet

    I guess it boils does to how does one access settings on the local agent in the manifests ?

    Bill Waterson (Calvin & Hobbes)

  • Dan White at May 4, 2013 at 12:30 am
    I figured it out ! Short answer: Cannot be done without customization.

    http://docs.puppetlabs.com/puppet/3/reference/lang_variables.html#facts-and-built-in-variables
    Master-Set Variables :
    $settings::<name of setting> — the value of any of the master’s configuration settings. This is implemented as a special namespace and these variables must be referred to by their qualified names. Note that, other than $environment, the agent node’s settings are not available in manifests. If you wish to expose them to the master in Puppet 3, you will have to create a custom fact.

    So I am going to make a top or node level variable that I will load with hiera !