My setup has an EC2 autoscaling group of clustered glassfish application
servers. Each glassfish instance will register itself with a DAS (Domain
Administration Server) to become a member of the cluster, and deregister
itself when it is killed. I was intending to orchestrate this via puppet
exported resources. However I am stuck with trying to figure out how to get
the DAS server to apply puppet configuration everytime an instance is born
in the autoscaling group.
I can schedule puppet to run on the DAS server every 30 minutes, but I cant
afford to wait 30 minutes. I would like to do this as soon as an instance
is provisioned. The only way I can think of doing this is using
mcollective. Am I overlooking something?

If I havent made myself very clear, please let me know, and I can try to
explain better.

Looking forward to some design patterns from some experienced gurus!

Thanks,
Shiva

  • Felipe Salum at Apr 22, 2013 at 5:25 pm
    I did an autoscaling pilot some months ago and I needed something similar
    to this. For the pilot to work (far from the best solution), I was
    triggering a puppet run on the server (DAS in your case) from the new
    launched autoscaling instance, using mco as you noted if you have mco
    working in your instance, or via ssh in my case.

    This was just a pilot and I don't need to say the security issues of having
    mco client enabled on every instance or ssh private keys.
[...]

  • Hugh Cole-Baker at Apr 22, 2013 at 11:03 pm

[...]

    You can set up an autoscaling group to post notification messages [1] to an
    Amazon SNS topic, which can then be fed (via Amazon SQS) into some kind of
    script to take action whenever it gets a notification of a new instance
    appearing.

    [1] http://aws.typepad.com/aws/2011/07/auto-scaling-notifications-recurrence-and-more-control.html