Is there any possibility to use the REST API in a standalone configuration
of Puppet?
I'm still no expert in Puppet, but in the REST API guide<http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/rest_api.html>says I only have to add 'listen = true' in puppet.conf, or run 'puppet
agent --listen'; however, I have not been able to get anything related to
Puppet listening on any port (I've checked netstat). Is the REST API only
available on master/agent configurations?
Also, any kind of additional information anyone could provide about the
REST API would be really appreciated. I don't know if it's a very used
feature, but I didn't find much information about it around.
Thanks a lot!

  • Felix Frank at Apr 19, 2013 at 9:22 pm
    Hi,

    the docs seem to indicate that there are a few caveats to consider.

    http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/rest_api.html#the-agent-rest-api

    Do you have both namespaceauth.conf and proper rest_authconfig settings?

    HTH,
    Felix
    Is there any possibility to use the REST API in a standalone
    configuration of Puppet?
    I'm still no expert in Puppet, but in the REST API guide
    <http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/rest_api.html> says I only have to
    add 'listen = true' in puppet.conf, or run 'puppet agent --listen';
    however, I have not been able to get anything related to Puppet
    listening on any port (I've checked netstat). Is the REST API only
    available on master/agent configurations?
    Also, any kind of additional information anyone could provide about the
    REST API would be really appreciated. I don't know if it's a very used
    feature, but I didn't find much information about it around.
    Thanks a lot!
  • Javier Dehesa at Apr 20, 2013 at 3:15 pm
    Well, of course it was totally my fault. The namespace.conf file was not a
    problem, as I am using puppet 3.1.1 and that seemed to be a bug in puppet
    2.6.x, but auth.conf was actually wrong after playing with several
    configurations. Shame on me, it was pretty clear in the docs.
    REST API works now my standalone configuration. Sorry to bother you and
    thanks for your answer, Felix.