I use Subversion to maintain the $confdir of my puppet-masters and I just discovered that when one does an upgrade, the entire tree is blown away and replaced -- all my .svn directories are gone.

I see nothing in the documentation (man page and such) to address this.

Suggestions ?

Bill Waterson (Calvin & Hobbes)

  • Felix Frank at Apr 14, 2013 at 6:12 pm

    I use Subversion to maintain the $confdir of my puppet-masters and I just discovered that when one does an upgrade, the entire tree is blown away and replaced -- all my .svn directories are gone.

    I see nothing in the documentation (man page and such) to address this.

    Suggestions ?
    Subversion may not be the cleanest approach anyhow.

    I hear they invented that configuration management system... ;-)

    Cheers,
    Felix

  • Ellison Marks at Apr 15, 2013 at 7:36 am
    What OS are you on, and what package manager are you using to
    install/upgrade puppet?
    I use Subversion to maintain the $confdir of my puppet-masters and I just
    discovered that when one does an upgrade, the entire tree is blown away and
    replaced -- all my .svn directories are gone.

    I see nothing in the documentation (man page and such) to address this.

    Suggestions ?

    “Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere
    in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.”
    Bill Waterson (Calvin & Hobbes)
  • Dan White at Apr 15, 2013 at 12:48 pm
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 and yum

    Bill Waterson (Calvin & Hobbes)

    What OS are you on, and what package manager are you using to install/upgrade puppet?

    I use Subversion to maintain the $confdir of my puppet-masters and I just discovered that when one does an upgrade, the entire tree is blown away and replaced -- all my .svn directories are gone.

    I see nothing in the documentation (man page and such) to address this.

    Suggestions ?

    Bill Waterson (Calvin & Hobbes)

  • Nic Waller at Jul 24, 2013 at 2:21 pm
    I also have my puppetmaster files in Subversion, and I'm running into the
    same problem with upgrading modules from Puppet Forge. This question on
    Stack Exchange (http://stackoverflow.com/q/5664666/190298) doesn't have any
    fancy solutions either. Here are some of the ideas I've come up with so far:

    - Write a shell script to automate the process of deleting, committing,
    re-downloading, re-committing, so that it takes place as quickly as
    possible.
    - Set up a "QA" environment based on the same SVN repository. Do the module
    upgrade here and commit. Then a single "svn up" on the production files
    will bring them all in line.
    - Use git instead of subversion. It doesn't suffer from the same source
    tree pollution that .svn folders do.
    - It might be possible to have a git working copy instead of the svn
    working copy, but add the .git hidden folder to svn:ignore. Then git could
    be used to pull updates from GitHub, where most of the puppet forge modules
    are developed.

    --
    Nic